Suggestions for replanting a razed hillside?

chilehed(z5 MI)June 16, 2009

I just found out that my in-laws ended up with a razed hillside at their place near Bat Cave. Long story, not worth repeating and I don't know how big the area is, but they had a lot of mature hemlocks, hickorys and oaks, plus the usual rhodo maxima, some silverbells and I don't know what all else.

Dad's about to get someone to replant, but he isn't a plant guy and is likely to get stuck with whatever someone wants to foist on him. I want to give him a pick list of natives (or at least not invasive aliens) that will be good for the critters.

I'm thinking things like pecan, hickory, white oak, beech, persimmon, sugar maple, carolina hemlock, eastern red cedar, cunninghamia, amelanchier, pawpaw, hackberry, buckeye, wax myrtle, viburnum prunifolium, and mountain laurel.

Anyone have better suggestions, and an idea as to where some good local sources are?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myrmecodia(7 NC)

Unless the stumps were ground down or pulled up and the topsoil carted away, I'd expect a lot of the trees to re-sprout from stumps or roots in a season or two. There are likely to be some seeds sitting in the soil as well. Perhaps wait until next year before spending lots of money on replanting?

I recently ran across an interesting article suggesting that the ability of many North American trees to re-sprout after cutting is an adaptation to beavers. Trees in Chile and Argentina evolved without beavers and die when they are cut down. Consequently, escaped N. american beavers are doing a huge amount of damage.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 3:09PM
pfmastin(8 N. Carolina)

You might try this website....
www.ncsu.edu/goingnative

It has lots of information on planting/landscaping/design with native plants. :)

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 7:39PM
chilehed(z5 MI)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, they sent a bulldozer through the area so it's pretty torn up. Little chance of the woody stuff resprouting. It's about 15,000 square feet of bare dirt.

I'm a bit frustrated. He had it hydroseeded with lawngrass, rather than taking my recommendation to use bluestem and switchgrass and the like. *sigh* Oh, well, it's his place.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Did he "crape-murder" my crape myrtle ?
My husband looked online for instructions on how to...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Looking for orange lily
About 7 years ago I bought an orange lily from a horticulturist...
bonnie_il
I'm back after a long hiatus, and wow!
Hi everyone, I haven't been on GardenWeb for a while,...
minuet_7a
Sponsored Products
Modway Loft Leather Left-Arm Sectional Sofa in Tan
Beyond Stores
Mora Mobile - Schmitt Design
$138.00 | HORNE
David Bromstad "Flowers in a Jar" Artwork III
Grandin Road
Round 14" Copper
PLFixtures
Florence Style Loft Wool Armchair in Chocolate Brown
$489.00 | LexMod