Bare base on evergreen clematis

keithinwoodstock(7)April 13, 2010

My vine is a few years old and has reached the peak of our two story house. It's lush at the top and is thinner closer to the base, with the first 5' of vine bare. anyone know if there is a way to encourage new growth at the bottom? Thanks much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I am assuming this is C. armandii? There is not a lot you can do - it is the nature of the plant itself to produce a bare base. All clematis (and most other vines as well) will do so over time if left unpruned. But since evergreen vines tend not to get pruned very frequently, if at all, this crops up more noticeably. Plus, the very large size of this vine encourages a more noticeable bare appearance.

The only thing I could suggest is to allow several long stems to develop but rather than training them upward, let them, cascade over the rest of the vine. This happened by accident with my very large armandii and the effect was exactly what you are looking for -- the foliage looked lush all the way to the base of the plant and it seemed to flower from the ground up.

The alternative is to plant something in front of the vine that will cover up the bareness.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keithinwoodstock(7)

thanks very much, G. both good suggestions on a coverup. it would be nice to bring some of the bloom down, too. we had 3 weeks of bloom but most of the scent was 30 feet in the air:)

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™