Barberry and Artemesia?

maryh1234May 1, 2004

Barberry and Artemesia?

The artemesia is 'silver mound', low growing, silver gray, sort of soft and fuzzy looking. The barberry is 'rose glow', dark red. I was thinking of grouping five of the artemesia in front of the base of the barberry, but I can't decide if they look great together or ghastly. I'm not so concerned with the colors as I am with the textures. What do you think?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JustJoeyGirl(z5 NY)

My first thought was: cool. I think that sounds like such a good idea. I thought of barberry rose glow with golden varegated japanese grass. I won't try to spell it now, too early to look it up. Something like Hakenola Macro something Aureu somethng. (I'm a big help, eh. maybe i'll just go back to bed), Anyway your combo sounds nice.

Bookmark   May 2, 2004 at 6:19AM
jonijumpup(z5, GR MI)

JUst to add something to this old message, the silver mound will look good, but it can quickly grow quite large if given enough water. so dont plant them too closely. Maybe two feet and then plan to prune them back when needed.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 5:14PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The barberry isn't a dwarf either. Plant each kind in drifts made up of all one kind, with enough space between the drifts to make sure there are no conflicts. Viewed from out in front the artemisia will appear to be nearer the barberries than it actually is.

Probably need to frame this with some evergreen shrubs to provide yearround appeal.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 1:49AM
More Discussions
New to companion planting
Hi There First to introduce myself. I live in Saudi...
saoodhashim
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
sweet potato vine
I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift....
m. west - 8
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
What do you suggest under a flaming red Japanese Maple?
I can't figure what what plants would be great companions...
meyermike_1micha
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™