Dog Memorial

dolfn3July 6, 2013

Hello All,
I am new to this site and new to gardening. I am broken hearted we just buried my wonderful dog Grace July 3,2013.
I want to make a garden where she is buried. I'm naming it Gracie's Garden. I would love idea's for perennial plants/ flowers to plant in it in honor of her. Grace was an Australian Shepherd mix.
Thanks So Much
From a sad Carolina Girl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love2gardennc

So sorry for your loss. I lost my 19yr. old cat last month and am doing a garden around his grave.
I live in the Shelby/Hickory area and have lots of plants and shrubs for trade for other named plants or Miracle grow potting soil. If you are in my area and interested email me. Link included.

Here is a link that might be useful: My page

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:01PM
ncrescue

I know you will miss her; I also planted things around my pets' (two cats and four dogs so far) graves. I like ferns and native azaleas, but I think anything that you like and fits the area, i.e., sun or shade.

Husband made markers from wood, engraved with their names. We also put some trilliums and other shade loving plants there.I think about all of our wonderful pets when I walk through that area, even tho' it has been 26 years since our first loss. Making a garden around them helps keep those memories alive.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 8:52PM
lindanc(8a)

So sorry you have lost Grace. I have a 7 yr. old chocolate lab who is getting grayer everyday. I would plant bulbs and corms, which are very low maintainence. That way you will only disturb the soil once. How about reblooming daylilies for the summer? And Iris and tulips for the spring. Check the garden webs on line. I know it will make you feel so much better to plant a garden for her! Linda

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:09PM
butterfly4u

dolfn,
Along with perennials, personally, I would plant a mini rose in the color red. Red for love.
You will have to water it once a week in the summer heat, but other than that, it will always come back for you because roses live for decades, and when you see the red roses, you will remember your Gracie.
I am sorry for your loss, hope you feel a little better soon.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 2:09PM
ditnc(7 NC)

So sorry for your loss. She was a pretty girl.

Do you have full sun where you plan to make the garden? If so, salvias in different colors would be nice, and the hummingbirds and butterflies love them, too, which is a plus.

Knowing whether it will be sun or shade would help....

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™