Companion plants for roses???

putri.mMay 14, 2010

What are good companion plants for roses in partial shade?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Foxgloves.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 9:35PM
putri.m

Does anyone know any herb that would be good companions for roses? Thanks~~~

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 12:59AM
lisa33(6b Bucks County PA)

Lavender is a classic companion for roses.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 8:38PM
morningsun_kate

I planted some pink and blush Knockout roses this spring in a bed that gets about 5-6 hrs of sun and they are looking great with catmint and meadow sage, both herbs. The blue/purple tones are beautiful with the pinks.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 2:57PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Members of the onion family such as chives, ornamental alliums, and edible onions, are rumored to increase the perfume of roses, ward off aphids, and prevent black spot.

Herbs and other aromatic plants make wonderful rose companions. Scented geraniums (Pelargonium), rue (Ruta), feverfew (T anacetum), parsley (Petroselinum), and thyme (Thymus) all may help ward off Japanese beetles and aphids. Marigolds (Tagetes) may also repel pests and encourage growth. Try ornamental and culinary sage (Salvia), anise-hyssop (Agastache), Russian-sage (Perovskia), lavender (Lavandula), yarrow (Achillea), oregano (Origanum), catmint (Nepeta) and calamint (Calamintha). Oddly enough, tomatoes allegedly prevent black spot, but not many people will be inclined to combine roses and tomatoes. Lavender (Lavandula) and catmint (Nepeta) are good at keeping rabbits away. Four-o clocks (Mirabilis) and larkspur (Consolida) are said to act as decoys by attracting rose-loving Japanese beetles to eat their poisonous leaves. Yarrow (Achillea) may attract ladybugs who in turn feed on aphids.

Courtesy of website: http://gardening.about.com/od/rose1/a/Rose_Companions.htm

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 11:43AM
willow81

We have rosemary, basil, and sage near our roses. They seem to do great. Especially the basil. I don't know if they are traditional companions, but work for us.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 10:07PM
simcan(z5b/Toronto)

For yellow, orange (or orange-toned) roses I really like ornamental (still great-tasting) golden oregano. Great scrambler and good at covering legs.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 4:03PM
sherryocala

In Florida I love Salvia farinacea aka Mealycup sage aka Victoria Blue. It's a soft plant, non-invasive, doesn't get huge, comes back after winter freezes, reblooms after it flops and is cut back, is the most gorgeous silvery blue or purple (starts out purple), and is the perfect height to stand up among your roses. We have so few blue flowers here. I just have to find a way to keep them upright. Shouldn't be too hard.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: if only sweat were irrigation...

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 12:27PM
LizBethJane

I usually plant daffodils under the roses, and society garlic between them. The daffodils just to have more blooming in the same space, and the society garlic fends off pests without sending up huge flower spikes...

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 2:50AM
sherryocala

Oh, how could I forget? Daylilies are very dramatic with roses and give the roses a run for their money in the "who's more beautiful" competition. They also take the pressure off the roses to be beautiful ALL the time which, of course, we know they're not. I don't use daylilies with contrasting eyes - too busy with my mostly pastel roses.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 9:11PM
sunrisedigger(6a)

I've got a south western exposure with pink climbing Hybrid Tea "Orchid Masterpiece" companioned with a Jackmanii clematis in mostly sun (5 hrs) and partial shade. The two are doing well. Some say rose and clematis are the classic companions. Just an observation about the aspect:
Any less direct sun shine time and the rose won't bloom and any more direct sun on that clematis and the flower color would look faded.
Rick

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:18PM
whirl(6 Ohio)

Cerastium tomentosum (snow-in-summer) is a nice gray groundcover for areas close to rose bushes. It blooms white in spring for a few weeks. I have some in an area that gets only morning sun and it does quite well. In fact, you might need to keep it in bounds!

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 2:56PM
sunrisedigger(6a)

There are some that say roses are the "monarchs" of the garden and roses don't really like to share space with anything other.
Clematis & roses however are I believe made for classic companionship. There's not a view as stunning as the climbing rose with any clematis intertwined.
Mulch the rose and shade the clematis root.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:43PM
AdamBorzy12

The Allium family like onions and chive is the top of the list in companion plant for roses for they are pest and disease deterrents. Although you can plant some marigold and lavender. On the herbs side, thyme and parsley are perfect for roses, too.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 11:27AM
luxrosa

I also love snow in summer
and I also plant mother of thyme around my roses that get full sun, I try and plant my companion plants that need little water with roses that are also water wise. I live near Oakland California and we get 3-4 months of drought every year, and temps are usually in summer in the 80'sF.
I only water my Old Garden Tea roses:
Duchess de Brabant
Mrs Dudley Cross
Monsieur Tillier
Mme. Alfred Carrier (TeaxNoisette rose)
and my Noisette Catos Cluster
once a month to once every two months during summer drought, so I've planted snow in summer and mother of thyme around those roses.
Because these roses bloom well in partial shade, and because it is cooler and the moisture doesnt evaporate as fast I plant violets there and only in partial shade by
Cornelia
Lavender Dream
Crepescule
Rosa moschata
Nastarana

Lux

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:14PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Geranium 'Rozanne'

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Do companion benefits still apply when not planted in same soil?
Hi! I couldn't think of a succinct way to pose this...
monsteraston
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
Vegetable Companion Chart
There are still requests for my chart. That can only...
organicdan
Advice for planting on a piece of land
I have recently cut down a lot of bamboo on a piece...
ambey1
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™