Spring Companion for a Mum?

sharons2(z3-4 ID)May 18, 2004

I posted this question in the Far North forum, but I think this is more of a companion question...

I have a Debonaire Mum in plain sight in my front bed. It looks as dead as can be - except for a few green leaves near the bottom - and there's a nice big hole surrounding it to give it space to grow. Since it's a fall bloomer, it seems to be pretty late breaking dormancy.

What could I surround it with to hide it and give it some color in the Spring? I was thinking of interplanting (or underplanting?) it with a Spring bloomer (or a spring ephemeral?) that would fade away about the time that the Mum comes into it's own.

I not so sure that Tulips would work, since once the foliage starts to decay, THEY will be in plain sight, and the Mum will only be about 4 inches tall. Any ideas?

Also, is this the time to divide the Mum, too? It's beginning it's third year in my garden.

Thanks,

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Even if you use bulbs, there is still the aging foliage situation. How about an annual like Cosmos? Or Nigella if you like blue there. Both reseed.

To propagate new mums you take 'cuttings'. When the growth is about 6-8 inches tall, break off the top 3 inches and strip off the lower leaves. Poke it in the ground and water well. I have to do this in semi-shade in our climate and I cover the cutting with a jar after watering; then leave it alone for a month.

Bookmark   May 26, 2004 at 2:23AM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

Most spring ephemerals are shade lovers which is why they would not work or bloom with mums...... your mums are in the sun right????? Dodecatheon meadia is a spring ephemeral that flowers in sun...... :)

Bookmark   June 24, 2004 at 10:38PM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

I mix daffodils with daylilies behind my mums. Three seasons of bloom and each helps hide the declining foliage of the previous bloomer.

Bookmark   July 13, 2004 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
What would grow well under citrus trees
I'm looking for a companion plant for my orange and...
tbug
If nasturtiums keep bugs away what's eating mine?
I have nasturtium seedlings that are being eaten by...
moment
Companion Planting Newbie Needs Advice
Hi everyone! I'm needing some advice and I'm happy...
flutterby64
strawberries as a groundcover in potted fruit trees/bushes/vines?
Is it a good idea to use strawberries as a groundcover...
lawanddisorder
Butterfly gardening
Hi I'm new to butterfly gardening and we cant use pesticides...
PinkRose84
Sponsored Products
Blue 'Big Trunk' Hooded Towel & Washcloth Set
$9.99 | zulily
POLYWOOD Tables Long Island Mahogany 18 in. Patio Side Table ECT18MA
$79.99 | Home Depot
Animals Matter Shag Blanket Dog Bed
$195.00 | FRONTGATE
Supra 32 Brushed Steel Fan
$127.95 | Bellacor
Layla Outdoor Side Table - 20in. High
Grandin Road