Kumquat Seeds?

BigN_187(9)March 15, 2013

I recently got some kumquats from my uncles tree that he has had for years. As I ate them I noticed they had seeds. Most were dried up and most likely "duds", but I did find a few that were actually thick and sort of green and healthy looking. I planted two in soil without soaking them at all, however they did sit out and dry overnight. Will the seeds still be good? The other two dried out overnight as well, but I am soaking them for two days, tomorrow is the day I will plant them. Are any of these likely to grow at all? I realize they will take years to bear fruit, I'm just wanting to know if they'll grow at all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

Probably will, If you remove the outer hull and keep the seed and soil moist at 90 deg, they will sprout real fast.

picture of one year old meiwa kumquat tree from seed

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 3:31PM
Pachhu

The seeds take 2 to 3 weeks to germinate. Keep it in a hot location near to the heater. Use seed starting mix.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:53PM
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

How did your seed come out. This is what you can expect by using a good potting soil mix and an area that gets good light.

clink on the meiwa kumquat tree pic to access my photobucket display, then use left and/or right arrow key on your keyboard to navigate.

the soil mix needs to be very porous. I use 65%-rotted leave, 20%-riverbank sandy soil, 10%-crushed brick pieces, 5%-hardpan clay. This soil drains very well and gives the support the tree needs. These material are all readily found scrapes and are free even in large quantities.

My pots are small and deep. The bottom of the container is usually wet and slimy, because the water sets there and causes root rot in kumquat tree roots. Your kumquat tree will grow better if the bottom of it's container is out of reach of the roots. In the sumer I place my tree in container with no bottom and let the tree root go into the ground. This way there is no slimy build up as there is no surface at the bottom.

My containers have many drain holes to let extra water pass through and promote air circulation. Some pictures of containers for citrus. I also use a hair dryer to aerate the root as seen in the picture albums below.

the link in the text will lead you to a 8 meg-pix slide show of the meiwa kumquat tree from seed

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile/5862762593941435714?banner=pwa

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Meyer leaves issue
Hello, My container meyer is having issues. Leaves...
eshieh1
KinnowLS, XieShan, Dekopan in CA.
Anyone know where these can be purchased or ship to...
cebury
Has Anyone Tried "Atomic Grow"? Does It Work As Claimed?
I was browsing through some YouTube videos on "citrus",...
gadgetvictim
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Sponsored Products
Robert Abbey | Rico Espinet Buster Globe Pendant
$229.90 | YLighting
Palladian Crystal LED Wall Sconce by Modern Forms
$495.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Hanging Rural Street Lamp
| Dot & Bo
Colonial Copper Two-Light Outdoor Wall Mount
$273.30 | Bellacor
Howard Miller 635-162 Cleo Mantel Clock - 635162
$309.40 | Hayneedle