Cucumbers and peppers??

kinxmaigh(z5-9)May 18, 2013

I'm glad this forum has a dedicated companion planting area. I am doing a biodynamic (as much as possible) victory garden for the first time after 4-5 years of haphazard careless planting that's yielded mixed results.

I want to put a row of cucumbers next to bell peppers. It's the best option for my small garden. But has anyone had success with that, or read that it should work? I've looked at many charts and there's no mention. On the other side of the cucumbers is Gai Lan, a Chinese broccoli...broccoli is said to be good w/ cukes. There'll be some marigolds around too, maybe some alfalfa to help fix nitrogen but not sure yet.

The soil is double-dug 24" or so deep, the row is ready (and the 5" tall peppers choking in plug packs are impatient :P), so I thank you for suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jonathan29

Hi kinxmaigh in what i have researched, the best companion plants for peppers are tomatoes and ragweed or known as pig weed. for cucumbers nasturtiums work great i am doing that this year my self planting tomatoes by peppers, and cucumber, and squash by nasturtiums and petunia's those are great bee attractors and they are like plants to cucumbers and squash giving them a unique taste when planted near one another. If you would like to tune into my youtube channel TheItalian Garden, to see how this works for me this year you can. i will be doing weekly videos are the year progresses. Just as a teaching thing and a learning thing for me because i still don't know it all lol.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
Companion plants for roses???
What are good companion plants for roses in partial...
putri.m
Do companion benefits still apply when not planted in same soil?
Hi! I couldn't think of a succinct way to pose this...
monsteraston
Butterfly gardening
Hi I'm new to butterfly gardening and we cant use pesticides...
PinkRose84
Companions for random edibles
This is my first year trying container gardening so...
MeaWea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™