Fern companion plants for winter interest

mjjgmMay 22, 2010

I am trying to plan an area in the yard with ferns and hostas - the area is along the deck, about 3 feet wide and several feet.

Since these plants only come up in the summer, what are companion plants that look decent in winter yet still allow the ferns & hostas to pop up in the spring?

I have solomon's seal but wasn't sure if it is too big of a plant to put in this narrow space. For ground cover underneath these guys I was thinking maybe ajuga or creeping jenny, but will those allow ferns & hostas to pop through or will they smother them? Is it best to only put mulch on top of the ferns & hostas?

The mix of ferns I will be planting are as follows:

Cinnamon

Lady

Christmas

Are any of these evergreen in zone 7b? (Monroe, NC) I'm thinking Christmas fern might be.

They are in a mixed bag, so if anyone knows how to identify the bare roots, that would be helpful too. (If there's no way to identify the bare roots, maybe I could plant them into little pots to grow a bit to identify before putting them in the ground? That might take awhile though.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

Probably original poster received an answer elsewhere...

I wouldn't put ajuga near the hosta, but creeping jenny works okay & comes out easily. I tried corydalis lutea (yellow bloomer) because it was slug resistant, but it was a bit too vigorous crowding the hosta & swarming around the clumps.

There are a few evergreens in zone 7 that I like:
hardy ginger
heuchera & our PNW native Tellima
vinca minor
carex esp. Ice Dance or any of the variegated light up on gray days of winter
'Wanda' primrose & others are evergreen or semi
Bergenia
Campanula - serbian bellflower, but do keep it a bit away from the hosta as it is a vigorous spreader.
sword fern (not lady or cinnamon though lovely ferns)
hardy geranium small types planted 2' away from taller large leaf hosta added a punch of color this year & I will see how evergreen they are...

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 10:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

A lot would depend on which Hostas you're planning to put in. Something like undulata, or venusta, or Dewdrop would be polite and keep to the 3' width.

A thug such as Aphrodite or Sum and Substance will be swamping the area in no time.

Evergreen things: Epimedium, which can form a large clump yet is also slow to increase. There are small varieties.
Claytonia. Can be 'weedy' in a nice way and is easy enough to remove.
Pulmonaria with either silver, or speckled leaves. Or even angustifolia, which is quite a survivor.
Vancouveria is also a possible.

Definitely NOT solomon's seal. Rampant is the polite term - except for the very small one, and it's too easy to lose.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 4:49AM
More Discussions
If nasturtiums keep bugs away what's eating mine?
I have nasturtium seedlings that are being eaten by...
moment
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
Emerogork2
What plant is this?
Goodafternoon I will appreciate very much if someone...
warrier
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™