variegated red twig dogwood & w&r weigela need a companion

csmerkJune 13, 2007

We are creating a bed in between two young shade trees (approx 12 ft high) to add a splash of interest against the plain 6ft high white vinyl fence. We had arborvitae Elegantissima there that didn't survive the winter winds. With that in mind, we've chosen variegated red twig dogwoods and wine and roses weigela so far but are now stuck on a broadleaf evergreen to mix in. The bed is only going to be 7.5 feet deep by about 30 or 32 feet long so we can't have an evergreen that will take over the bed. We had decided on the Green Mountain boxwood but can't afford the 3 feet specimens and have since discovered that if we plant the small 2 gallon ones it may take up to 10 years before the even reach 3 feet. We feel it won't be a good idea to take that route since the dogwoods will take off and the weigela will also grow at a faster rate. Also, we love hollies, but our current hollies (nellie stevens and inkberries) are just recovering from the winter winds as well so we really do need something very hardy back there. Any ideas? Are we being ridiculous about thinking there has to be an evergreen in the mix?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
megajas(z7 VA)

My first thoughts were rhododendrons or Camellias. Other thoughts for winter interest would be curly willow for it's stems. Maybe Nandina for berries?

-bonnie

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 3:01PM
prairiegirlz5

I think Taunton yew (Taxus x media 'Tauntonii')looks very nice with red-twigged dogwoods. Keep in mind, to get the best winter color of your dogwoods, you're going to be removing the older stems, keeping the ultimate size smaller than if left to grow "naturally" so you can place the yews in front of or behind the dogwoods, whatever works best for you. I would berm the soil a little, if possible, kind of stages the planting and provides good drainage for evergreens.

Bookmark   December 21, 2007 at 12:05AM
grow_now(5)

Tough broadleaf evergreen PJM rhody
they turn puplish for winter color
green again in the spring, lavender flowers, very early spring

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 1:03PM
mori1(5b/6a)

I have a red twig dogwood and old fashion canary weigela. May I suggest that you put them as far apart from each other as possible. With the dogwood, maybe groundcover would be the best bet. My dogwood is over 7 ft and I have to prune every three weeks or less if we have a good rain. The weigela will be the slower grower but I have had to remove a two shrubs and now a groundcover because I failed to realize how wide this thing will get. The reality hit me when I went over to friend. He has a weigela in the middle of his yard. The thing is huge about 6 ft tall and 5 ft wide. A wine and rose should get about 5 ft wide and the same in height. Please keep this in mind when choosing companion plants

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
Advice for planting on a piece of land
I have recently cut down a lot of bamboo on a piece...
ambey1
strawberries as a groundcover in potted fruit trees/bushes/vines?
Is it a good idea to use strawberries as a groundcover...
lawanddisorder
Companion Planting Newbie Needs Advice
Hi everyone! I'm needing some advice and I'm happy...
flutterby64
Do companion benefits still apply when not planted in same soil?
Hi! I couldn't think of a succinct way to pose this...
monsteraston
Sponsored Products
Westbury Herbal Linen Shade Brass Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Casual Luxury Brushed Steel Two-Light Bath Light
$229.50 | Bellacor
Besa Lighting | Domi One Light Low Voltage Pendant Light
$108.00 | YLighting
Hampton Bay Track Lighting 2.56 in. 1-Light White LED Dimmable Track Lighting
$34.97 | Home Depot
Bartholemew Drawer Ottoman - 217714
$339.91 | Hayneedle