Cardinal Wysyski-Did I kill it?

luv2gardenMay 20, 2014

I bought a decent sized pot of this beauty, along with General Sikorski. the general is doing beautiful, but Cardinal is not. I haven't had time to plant them, left the in a sun/shade area near lilacs. Checked water & kept moist.
I looked at it today and I swear it is dead. Some stems dry & brittle, levels shriveled. I went back to the garden center and they were like, well it could be irregular watering or the cold (Chicago Z5) we have had (not to mention rain). You should plant asap. (which I am doing in the morning). Does anyone think there is hope for this, or should I go back to the store and argue it out? $20 was a lot - but as I said, General was right next to Cardinal, and is freely flowing. Clematis is a new addition to my garden. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd hate for Cardinal to croak.Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Maybe, maybe not. I have seen clematis in pots at big box stores that often get hit and miss watering with dried stems but new growth pushing up from the crown. Good sales bargains for the knowing costumer.

Go ahead and plant it or sink the pot in the ground and keep it watered. Most stores will allow one to bring back a plant throughout the season.

Suggestions for planting new clematis. Plant tilted towards your trellis, several inches deeper than the top of the pot. Also trim the stems to 6-8 inches to encourage more stems from the crown.

Pllease let us know what results.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 2:05PM
luv2garden

Thanks, I will do just that and see what happens. The dried out stems do worry me. I will keep you posted.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 8:56PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

You should be worried about the crown and roots not the stems.

Plant it deep in a big well dug hole and sprinkle some alfalfa pellets around it and cut it back hard too.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™