Perennial companions for tulips/daffodils

kim0201June 28, 2009

Currently I have hundreds of tulips/daffodils spread throughout the beds in my yard & I'm always complaining about the messy look after they bloom while I'm waiting for the foliage to die back.

I'm thinking about putting in a long bed where I currently have just grass; it's located where we'll see it nicely from the family room at just the time when we think winter will never end.

I know I will have the same 'complaints' in a new bed unless I plan on good companion plantings. The bed is approx 32' long, in full sun, & has loamy soil (of course w/ a new bed I'll be adding amendments too).

I'm considering peonies, daylilies, & your suggestions as possible companions in order to prolong color throughout the season & add other lasting foliage to minimize the dying tulip/daffodil foliage.

Do you think I'm on the right track? Would you consider something in addition or totally different?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kim0201

I thought I had really searched THS for my answer before I posted this question.... But alas, after posting I found a forum where this was discussed - didn't want to waste any further time for someone.

Thanks.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
Companion plants for bleeding hearts
Help! I have a beautiful bleeding heart garden by my...
boodel
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
Butterfly gardening
Hi I'm new to butterfly gardening and we cant use pesticides...
PinkRose84
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
Emerogork2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™