How to use traps or companions?

Sawdust(Atlanta Zone7)June 5, 2003

Last year I had white flies on tomatoes, bad. This year the flies are back as expected, but seem to favor my snap peas as of now.

I was going to pull the peas, but wonder if I should leave them as a trap? And should I be treating the peas to eleminate as many flies as possible, or will they move to toms as soon as I treat peas? Too hot for peas soon, would another trap help?

Any experience shared would be appreciated.

Sawdust

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organicdan(z5b Nova Scotia)

Traps are great if you have room for the extra planting and do not mind sacrifices. Companion planting often offers a distraction or repelling characteristic such as an odor or chemical production. Particular pest control emphasis is placed chiefly on herbs and flowers. I have a large number of French marigolds, nasturtiums and petunias interplanted.

Check some of the many companion charts. I offer a link below that shows which plants directly affect pests. Be sure to cross-reference with other charts to determine compatability with the other plants you share space with.

It does work. Combine the companion planting with good soil management to ensure strong, healthy plants.

Good gardening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pest focused Companions

Bookmark   June 8, 2003 at 7:48AM
garden_witch(z6a MI)

I have heard of using peas as a catch crop for rabbits, why not bugs!

Bookmark   July 9, 2003 at 3:59PM
greengodess

If you want to trap the whiteflies with peas, but are concerned about what will happen when the peas go, just plant thyme and nasturtiums arouns the tomatoes....they repel whiteflies.

Bookmark   July 9, 2003 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
Liatris, Grape Hyancith and Nodding Onion
I saw a "bargain bag" of Liatris at Lowes. I'm...
edlincoln
raspberrys and strawberries?
I have a row of raspberries being delivered in a few...
stoloniferous
strawberries as a groundcover in potted fruit trees/bushes/vines?
Is it a good idea to use strawberries as a groundcover...
lawanddisorder
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™