I dug to China yesterday!

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)May 21, 2011

Ever needed to dig up a mature clematis? Well, yesterday I tackled digging up my Comtesse de Bouchard because what few leaves formed this year died. It was in the Group C class or Type 3 category. Now I have no idea how old this clematis was as it was planted by the previous owners of our house. We have only lived here 6 yrs. It has always performed beautifully but back last Fall, I decided to cut it back to about 12-18 inches above ground to get rid of the ugly brown dried leaves. This year it only produced probably 6 leaves and they looked diseased. Yesterday I decided to dig that clematis up..well, I think I dug to China! I used my digging fork, a hachet, pruning sheers, lobbing sheers. I have never seen so many entwined roots in my life! I filled up our recycle bucket almost to the top and I say that has a 5 gal capacity or more. I know I didn't get all of them up. The roots probably go further and deeper than I could get. I filled the hole with garden soil and leaf gro and will not plant another clematis there. This clematis had been planted at the corner of the brick facing to our garage; not in front where you would think somebody would plant it; so it would grow up the trellis easier. We'd like to get another clematis but will not plant it in same place.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Comtesse de Bouchard often gets mildew which is unsightly but not fatal. It is highly likely you went through all that work for nothing. Certainly nothing in the soil to stop you from planting another Clematis there, yours was probably not dead in the first place.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 1:13PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Thanks for your response. There was so sign of life, except those pitiful 6 leaves if there were that many. I looked up as much as I could on internet..Clematis wilt for example.
Oh well, what's done is done. Good workout, that was for sure.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 11:14PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Clematis wilt doesn't affect the viticella group.

Whats done is done but I didn't want you to think you had to avoid planting another Clematis in that spot.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Sponsored Products
Possini Euro Woven Rings 23" Wide Chrome Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
Nanimarquina | Do-Lo-Rez Rug
YLiving.com
Cosmopolitan Modern White Leather Counter Stools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Porcelain Bathroom Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Floral Scroll Plum 7 ft. 7
Home Depot
Slender Pendant
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™