How much epson salts?

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)May 21, 2011

I read where some of you feed your clematis epsons salts mixed with water. Do you do this after your clematis is in full bloom or before it blooms and how much epson salt to how much water mixture? What are the purpose of the epson salts to a clematis? When do you know it needs this mixture?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

There is no scientific basis behind the application of epsom salts to enhance plant growth.

Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate - it doesn't contain any "magic" ingredients for making plants grow better. It is true that both sulfur and magnesium are plant nutrients - but minor ones. Sulfur is nearly always present in sufficient quantity in the soil and with the application of nearly any type of synthetic fertilizer (and via many other common garden products). Magnesium deficiencies are usually present only in heavily cropped soils and over-application of magnesium can be harmful.

As with any other type of fertilizer, routine applications just because it's habit or because the advertisements of the manufacturers (like MiracleGro) would like you to believe your garden will not grow without it should be avoided. Fertilize only if soil tests indicate a need or if your plants are evidencing obvious signs of nutrient deficiency. In most cases, unnecessary fertilization is worse for the plants - and the planet - than not fertilizing at all.

If you mulch well with compost each season you will be replenishing pretty much any nutrient your plants require....no need to fertilize at all unless growing in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: the myth of epsom salts

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 8:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

I am not a expert. I just want to make that clear. LOL I use a tablespoon of ES per gallon of water once a month. I have crappy soil that I have added compost.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™