strawberries as a groundcover in potted fruit trees/bushes/vines?

lawanddisorder(6)June 6, 2013

Is it a good idea to use strawberries as a groundcover in potted fruit trees/bushes/vines?

I have about 25 potted fruit plants in my backyard, and among other annoying things that squirrels do, they dig fairly big holes in the potting soil.

I figured strawberries would work and provide even additional edibles. Is there a better groundcover I should use?

Or, is using any groundcover with a potted fruit tree/bush stupid because the roots will have to compete with each other?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linaria_gw

Hi there,
I think in general it could work. Containers shouldn't be too small anyway, and as long as you feed them properly it should be fine.
I did a planting design for an old peoples home. For a roof terrace they asked for containers with permanent plants ( not annuals but shrubs n perennials). Among others I chose dwarf apple trees and combined those with cultivars of woodland strawberries, the type without runners (Fragaria vesca semperflorens?).
After season one the apple trees show decent sized foliage.

So go for it, the berries taste great,
Bye, Lin

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 12:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lawanddisorder(6)

If anyone is interested, I went through with underplanting a bunch of potted fruit trees and bushes with strawberries. I put a couple strawberry plants around the perimeter of each pot. The ones with the trees are doing great, but the ones with brambles are not doing as well, and the ones with blueberries and currants are okay for now, but within another year or two, the bushes will overcrowd the strawberries. And none of the trees or bushes seem affected by the strawberries at all.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
Butterfly gardening
Hi I'm new to butterfly gardening and we cant use pesticides...
PinkRose84
Companion plants for bleeding hearts
Help! I have a beautiful bleeding heart garden by my...
boodel
Advice for planting on a piece of land
I have recently cut down a lot of bamboo on a piece...
ambey1
What would grow well under citrus trees
I'm looking for a companion plant for my orange and...
tbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™