Pink Rose + Purple Butterfly Bush + ????

Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)June 24, 2004

I think the only two things I'll keep in my new foundation planting next year are a pink "Belinda's Dream" shrub rose and a Nanho Blue (medium purple) butterfly bush. Also have some Salvia May Night that might make the cut. What can I use to pull them all together??? They are on a western exposure with quite a bit of sun, hot midwest summers. Thanks for any and all thoughts!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bouquet(z8 Dallas)

You may think this is boring but I love the look of silvery, big leaved plants like Helen von Stein lambs ear and big iris with your combination. Or even the herb Bergarten Sage. When my garden filled out I found that everything I had planted had tiny leaves or strappy leaves like daylilies. So I made a point of adding big leaves and it really made a difference and defined the edges a bit.

Bookmark   July 2, 2004 at 8:26PM
Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)

Thank you, Bouquet!! I was thinking silvery, too. Maybe artemesia silver mound...

Bookmark   July 5, 2004 at 11:07PM
chinacat_sunflower(7)

I'd also vote for the artemesia...I've got an upright backing my spiderwort collection, and use the mounding forms to edge the iris beds that I babysit for my MIL.

you might also look into a variety of succulents- I've got both tall and creeping sedums, and wondered how I lived without them! the leaves run from soft greens into reds and purples, and they flower in many warm shades...

if the bed's big enough, I'd think about air layering the butterfly bush, and making a few more for yourself...

and maybe adding a white one?

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?page=46938&category=2%2C47236&SID=&ccurrency=2

the rooter pot's made things a lot easier on me, trying to fill in a bed with nothing in it but tulips and phlox!

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 4:21PM
Twinkle(7 GA)

I've got a Belinda's Dream rose, a Black Knight butterfly bush (deep purple) and annual salvia farinacea (blue).

To these, I added: pink Stargazer lilies, white four-o-clocks, pink and white cleome, blue Stoke's Aster, and Bath's Pinks (silvery-green foliage all summer). This gives me blooms all spring and summer. They should all do fine in the heat, and the lilies would appreciate a little shade, if you have a spot, or you could put them in the back.

Bookmark   July 12, 2004 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
What plant is this?
Goodafternoon I will appreciate very much if someone...
warrier
If nasturtiums keep bugs away what's eating mine?
I have nasturtium seedlings that are being eaten by...
moment
What would grow well under citrus trees
I'm looking for a companion plant for my orange and...
tbug
Gardenias and tomatoes
I have a lovely gardenia tree that has a woven trunk...
ribsu
companion plant unfinished visual pic
i am a visual learner and so i created a visual companion...
QuinnaBrennan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™