Companion planting guide for free

johnmac09July 25, 2009

Trying to be organic, I've been trawling the web sites for info on companion planting. Some good ones, though often they don't explain why some plants are beneficial. In addition I like to have guides like this pinned up in my shed to refer to.

So I've done myself a guide... if you're interested you can download a copy. The link is under Welcome! on the top right hand of my web site below. When the link opens click the item above 'Add a description' to download.

Hope it helps... & if you think there's anything missing please let me know!

Thanks, John

Here is a link that might be useful: An English Allotment Garden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourunique(5)

Thank you for sharing! :)

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 4:59PM
deburn(6 - Boston MA)

This looks great, John, thanks!

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 9:56PM
organicdan(z5b Nova Scotia)

John,

The area of 'why' is a wonderful addition but still ventures into the folklore perception. Most of the on-line charts show the why. There are a few sites that offer plants in answer to a problem. The latter sources are likely how you generated your chart and the effort is appreciated.

The companion plant relationships are one area of personal study. My goal is finding actual facts offering the biological, chemical and/or ecological contribution. Some of the obvious are know symbiotics.

I have posted a few links in Organic and Vegetable topics that have been looked at. It is very hard to locate specific relationship studies and suppose that there are few actual such studies.

One item of note is the marigold action against nematodes. In report I have view they credit the exudates but after residue is incorporated and decomposing. The effect is generally of advantage in the following year of the incorporation. Food for thought and example of the information I hope to provide in such a chart.

Good effort. Thanks.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 10:29AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Organicdan - it is good to see someone looking for real evidence in this area. So much of what people state is unbacked by research and seems largely anecdotal or hearsay. In fact much of it is downright silly. For example recommending as 'good for each other' plants which have completely different habits and requirements e.g. garlic and rhubarb. My rhubarb is an 18 year old clump over five feet across in damp shade. I don't think garlic would be too happy alongside. I am keen to learn which combinations actually work but there is so much nonsense talked that scepticism is my default position much of the time.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
What plant is this?
Goodafternoon I will appreciate very much if someone...
warrier
sweet potato vine
I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift....
m. west - 8
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
Sponsored Products
Crosley Companion Vintage Radio - Walnut - CR31-WA
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Peanuts Dog House Beach Towel
$14.99 | zulily
Set of Two Personalized Moscow Mule Mugs
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Gray and Khaki 18 x 18-Inch Pillow with Hidden Zipper
$27.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Newport Black/White 5 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
SW 3528 LED Strip Light 60/m 4mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™