Allium bloom times; planning companions

dyhgarden(7b)July 10, 2008

I'm confused about allium bloom times here in z7. Most catalogs say that 'Purple Sensation' blooms in May/June. However, the same catalogs say that my Dutch irises bloom in May/June. My Dutch irises were blooming April 12th-May 10th according to the dates on my photos.

Does anyone have experience with this allium so that I can plan for companions? If they really bloom with the Dutch irises, then that's pretty easy. If they bloom later, then I need to figure out what blooms in my garden at the same time.

I really want to add alliums and have already postponed due to our drought last fall.

Thanks!

Cameron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spazzycat_1

According to my plant records, Allium 'Purple Sensation' starts blooming in early May. My Dutch iris usually don't start blooming until mid-May or later. Allium 'GlobeMaster' starts a bit earlier (in mid-late April) than A. 'Purple Sensation'. This year, my A. 'Purple Sensation' started blooming about the same time that the roses and catmints started blooming. In my pictures, I also see Euphorbia 'Red Wing' in bloom. Hope that helps you out a little.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 10:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dyhgarden(7b)

If your started in early May, then it will probably bloom for me a bit early since I have full morning east and all day south-facing sun. My front yard is a bit of a micro-climate!

Thanks for the info! I think I'll try to mix them with my Dutch irises so that all the foliage will get covered over with nepeta.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™