Tip for you: Don't press down on a compost pile if...

spazzycat_1July 21, 2008

yellow jackets have built a nest in it. LOL! Saturday morning, I was chopping up some clippings that I had laid on the compost pile so they would compost quicker, unaware that yellow jackets had built a nest into the pile. In fact, I was standing right in front of the opening to the nest. But, I wasn't standing there for too long. A split second later I was running at breakneck speed towards the house, flailing my arms and screaming like a banshee. I consider myself lucky...they only got off four stings. But, they sure did hurt and itch like the devil. It's 48 hours later and I still have to put hydrocortisone cream on the stings to control the itch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aezarien(7b)

Goodness. I hope your stings feel better soon. I don't do much with the compost bin but throw stuff in it and now I have another good reason to keep it that way. I haven't seen any yellow jackets but there are always some kind of bugs hanging out.

We have a nest built in the side of a hill by a major walk through and have had to make a detour around it. We were lucky to have never noticed it and have nobody get stung. My son and my husband had to go poking at it once they did see it and one stung my son on the hand and my husband on the eyelid.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 10:41AM
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

OUCH!!!!! - I would be in the hospital - while not deadly allergic to them - they do make me swell up to the point of being very uncomfortable and needing medical attention. Thanks for the warning tho - I will keep an eye out while playing with my compost.....

Lynne

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 11:14AM
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

A sting on the eyelid?!...ouch, ouch, ouch!

I use wasp spray like I own stock in it and spray down anything larger than a paper wasp. But I haven't seen any yellowjackets yet, thank goodness. Best wishes for speedy recovery to all!

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 12:23PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Ouch is right! And, potentially deadly to those with allergies.

I'm so glad you're okay.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™