PRETTIEST flower/vegetable combinations you've tried?

taniaa(z9 Australia)July 18, 2003

Hi all,

The plot for our first ever vegie garden is getting close to being ready - how exciting!!

Being a devoted "flower" lover, my aim is really to have a pretty flower garden with some veggies growing in between (& of course, for fun, a scarecrow in the middle!) - there is plenty of room.

For now, visual appeal is way more important than the amount of vegies we actually grow.

Last year I had a large hanging basket of sweetpeas and chives - grew really well, and looked fantastic. I've also tried the borage/strawberry combination in a container - that also looked lovely. I've been told that pansies and onions will do well, so I'll try that one next year.

What are some of the prettiest veg/flower combinations you have successfully tried - preferably something that doesn't include marigolds and naustriums - I already plan to use them.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Tania

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixelpushr(z5 Utah)

Tomatillos can be grown as vines or with stakes to look more tree like. They have pretty bright yellow flowers.
Spinach makes a great ground cover and marigolds will help repel bugs, so the two together would make a pretty and useful combination.
Dark purple eggplants have lovely purple leaves that can look nice and help break up all of the green in a veggie garden.

Bookmark   July 18, 2003 at 2:24PM
sunshinedydrm(z7NY)

Hi! How about purple basil by something yellow like marigolds or sunflowers?

Bookmark   August 8, 2003 at 12:48PM
agnes128

I'm sorry, but the combination : MARYGOLD, tomato and red runner beans in a container is giving me really great results !

Here is a link that might be useful: To my balcony ...

Bookmark   August 11, 2003 at 2:56AM
bushpoet(z6 Bronx NY)

This year, I really enjoyed these combos:

Purple & yellow:
The yellow blossoms of trellised french melons surrounded by light purple spikes of anise hyssop, bright orange calendula, and two-faced johnny jump-ups. The bumble bees *adored* the anise hyssop.

Green & white:
The delicate green & white striped fruit & foliage of "Fish" hot peppers underplanted with a carpet of spreading white sweet alyssum.

Hope these inspire you. Also, be sure to check how tall your marigold will get. I interplant the 6" dwarf ones & use the 3' monster as background & edging. My favorites are the 12" ones - perfect sized companions.

Michelle (bushpoet)

Bookmark   August 26, 2003 at 10:55AM
bushpoet(z6 Bronx NY)

This year, I really enjoyed these combos:

Purple & yellow:
The yellow blossoms of trellised french melons surrounded by light purple spikes of anise hyssop, bright orange calendula, and two-faced johnny jump-ups. The bumble bees *adored* the anise hyssop.

Green & white:
The delicate green & white striped fruit & foliage of "Fish" hot peppers underplanted with a carpet of spreading white sweet alyssum.

Hope these inspire you. Also, be sure to check how tall your marigold will get. I interplant the 6" dwarf ones & use the 3' monster as background & edging. My favorites are the 12" ones - perfect sized companions.

Michelle (bushpoet)

Bookmark   August 26, 2003 at 11:35AM
chinacat_sunflower(7)

I keep my rose of sharons really short, and underplant them with basil

the 'thai dragon' peppers and the chartreuse coleuses balance one another out nicely

and I have a nice round pineapple sage surrounded by darkest purple petunias.

Bookmark   September 4, 2003 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Gardenias and tomatoes
I have a lovely gardenia tree that has a woven trunk...
ribsu
Vegetable Companion Chart
There are still requests for my chart. That can only...
organicdan
Butterfly gardening
Hi I'm new to butterfly gardening and we cant use pesticides...
PinkRose84
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™