raspberries and california poppies

cairogalJuly 12, 2011

I had a great stand of red raspberries. This year, California poppies seeded themselves there as the new shoots began and I thought they looked like a fine understory. But all the raspberries died. They grew to 2 feet and withered. Perhaps there is another reason, but they had grown well for three years and the only change was this prettiness. I think california poppies may be very bad companions to raspberries.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Mad thought here - did you change your mulching and watering regime at all? The poppies do well in much drier conditions than those preferred by raspberries, so you might have been getting an indication of habitat change - as well as a possible antipathy between species.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 3:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

Perhaps while planting the poppies you also added more mulch which smothered the base of the raspberries. I've read that especially in our climate they can't be too deep.

There are some diseases raspberries can get, so perhaps something was spread to them.

Other ideas needed more water this summer or the raspberries crowded themselves out.

Mine spread like crazy out of the row, so there are always replacements.

You might find some more at the exchange site below. The Green Elephant swap was last Saturday & I shared dozens of them & saw others, so it was a good year for raspberry runners. I dug mine in spring & pulled a few out in fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
raspberrys and strawberries?
I have a row of raspberries being delivered in a few...
stoloniferous
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
myrtle pot
Hello Everyone I've been quite a while trying to grow...
TalSlavisnki
Companion plants for bleeding hearts
Help! I have a beautiful bleeding heart garden by my...
boodel
Companions for random edibles
This is my first year trying container gardening so...
MeaWea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™