Yellowing leaves

patty4150(SoCal)March 30, 2006

I'm having trouble with my young valencia orange tree. The veins are still green, but the leaves have some yellow - seems to be a problem all over the tree.

Is this chlorosis? Do i treat it with nitrogen, or with iron, or with something else, or with a combination?

I had used miracle grow fertilizer spikes, so I was surprised to see yellow leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: these are the spikes we used

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardner_dragon(z7 NE AR)

First of all I would check the Ph of your soil. If the Ph is incorrect it can lock up the nutrients. This will prevent the tree from using them. Citrus like a Ph of 5.5 to 7.0
Andi

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 9:31PM
birdsnblooms

Patty, if veins are pronounced dark green and inside is yellow, if it were my tree I'd treat w/iron.
To be honest I don't care for the spikes..I prefer either liquid or granuals, something that's going to fertilize the entire rootball..when you use spikes/stick it usually works on the one area.
I have read this in several plant books. (not only for citrus but other types of plants.)
Did you stake the plant in one spot or break up in different locations? Toni

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 10:00PM
citrusboy

Hi Patty,

This link might help. It shows the various effects of all types of mineral deficiencies...

http://www.flyingdragoncitrusnursery.com/deficiency/index.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Deficiency Images and Explanations

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 9:40AM
bencelest(z9 CA)

citrusboy:
Thanks for uploading the link. I save it for future ref. That is very helpful and good to the point.

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 11:20AM
patty4150(SoCal)

Thanks!

According to the link, it's definitely iron.

I'll check the pH.

If the pH is high, can I apply sulfur and maybe work it into the top few inches of soil? Or is there a better treatment?

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 10:12PM
gardner_dragon(z7 NE AR)

Elemental Sulfur can harm the tree is used improperly and is slow acting. You can use an acid such as sulfuric to accomplish the same in a shorter amount of time but the same risks apply. I would only use a small amount of acid added to the irrigation water.

When you check your soil pH you should also check the pH of the irrigation water. The more accurate testers and rather expensive but you can have a lab test your samples a lot cheaper. They would have better equipment and accurate results. Its also possible to use a topical application of iron sprayed on the canopy of the tree. The latter is a quick bandaid approach and will not give lasting results.
Andi

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 11:24PM
rickjames(9 Cali)

If your soil pH is too high, you could try iron sulfate--two birds with one stone...

HTH.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 3:23AM
More Discussions
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™