I Desire a Formal English Hedge

wjgaddisJuly 1, 2008

I've been to the UK on several occasions and fell in love with the formal hedge. I now want/need to grow one in my back yard and want that lovely formally clipped, straight line row. I realize the English Yew isn't practical for our region so I have done extensive research and have come across the Leyland Cypress to the Thuja Plicata. I have narrowed my search down to the Thuja Plicata and would like to know if this is, in fact, a good selection for what I want to do?

Is there a better shrub for the Carolinas? If Thuja Plicata is the right choice, where do I get it? Can't locate it anywhere . . .

Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueangel(7b)

Hello
Try Buxus microphylla
CompactaÂor Kingsville Dwarf
Wintergreen
Buxus sempervirens
Angustifolia
Argenteo-variegata
Bullata
Handsworthiensis
from Clemson extension
may be a good choice for
a formal hedge.
Blurangel

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 11:42AM
trianglejohn

Formal hedges are a LOT of work! be forewarned. Get your pruning tools sharpened or hire a gardener.

What you want is something bushy and fast growing that wants to live in your yard under your care. Some people love to tweak their plants every day while others would rather just look at the hedge and maybe clip it once each year. How much gardening work do you want to do?

The beauty of something like boxwoods is that you can find replacements just about everywhere - replacements? you ask? yep, at some point one of your bushes is gonna get injured or dead and you will want to replace it. Fast growers fill in quickly and within one season most folks won't notice the difference.

You also want to watch out for plants that are promoted as disease free or disease resistant, everything has some sort of disease issues. Plenty of plants get sold that way and then after a few years some disease shows up that no one knew about, and shrubs die out everywhere.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 12:32PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

leylands are a perfect example of what TJ said.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 12:44PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Got deer? If so, you may want to try ONE thuja out in the open to see if they want to eat the whole thing, or just sample it.

I have no other suggestions beyond what is mentioned for a tall hedge.

However, if you want to make a short hedge (like for a Victorian knot garden) or up to 3 feet (allowing for shaping), rosemary is great. It takes to shaping, too. It's fragrant and you will have a lot of rosemary for cooking.

Cameron

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™