Fell in love with this color combination:

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)July 2, 2005

What are some of your favorite or new favorite color combinations? I'm perusing the garden and (making my plants nervous) thinking about digging up this and that here and there to rearrange some things (by color) .... I'm loving (from seeing it happen "by accident" a few times in the garden) the way the following colors look together:

pale yellow and magenta

blue and magenta

salmon and pale yellow

salmon and blue

I'm thinking of making a spot with just these colors. I think they compliment each other so nicely and its so eyepopping. (now just have to have the discipline to to include any other colors in their bed!).... What do you think? Just a suggestion if you're considering planting any of those colors.... they look great together. What are your favorites? :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katybird_PA(z6 PA)

Funny, I have a salmon dianthus 'Helen' with a soft yellow happy return daylily and some soft "blue" campanula (looks more lavender to me). I was just thinking what a nice combination it was. I am also fond of my centranthus ruber with the golden yellow Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise' and the Soft blue nepeta and 'Snow Cap' daisy.

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 4:31PM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

Ooooh katybird I'd never heard of dianthus helen before.... so I googled it.... lovely salmon.... where did you get yours? Will you be collecting seeds/have enough plant to trade? I'd love to trade seeds/plants if you do.... :)

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 5:09PM
katybird_PA(z6 PA)

It's only been the past two years that I realized I have very favorable conditions for dianthus. I really enjoy trying new ones and many are so easy from seed, but I've also found Bluestone carries a nice variety. Check out 'Doris' too. I had a tough time deciding whether to go with 'Helen' or 'Doris.'

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 9:10AM
bouquet(z8 Dallas)

I agree that salmon/peachy colors look great near lavender/blue things. Some burgundy thrown in is also nice. Here are some combos in my garden:

Buff Beauty Rose, 'Argentine Sky' Salvia Guaranitica and Orange Candy Lilies

Abe Darby Rose, Black and Blue Salvia Guaranitica, Catherine Woodbury daylily and tall lavender-blue scabiosa (from seed).

Pygmy Barberry shrub, Moonlight Masquarade daylily, May Night salvia and Butterfly Blue Scabiosa.

Mixed mass of Salvia guaranitica and Blue Mist Flower with Pink Damask (really peach) daylilies and (annual) red fountain grass.

If you can grow it, the cobalt blue of Salvia Guaranitica looks great with anything and serves as a "weaver" throughout the garden. An added plus is hummingbirds go crazy over it.

Bookmark   July 8, 2005 at 2:03PM
josie_z6b(z6b Philly)

I like yellow with almost any shade of purple as long as the yellow is not too mustard.

Bright apricot with strong purple and deep violets looks so gorgeous to me.

Chartreuse with orange is very bright but fun.

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 2:31PM
Irish_Terror(z9 CA)

I like mixing bold, bright colors in my hillside garden. Things are still in bloom here in Northern California. The past few weeks I've had Mexican sage, Stella D'Oro day lilies, and a beautiful display of several varieties of red roses. Boy do they POP!

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 10:36AM
threedogsmom(6b Carroll Valley PA)

I like the look of the original Knockout rose with blue salvia. I also like burgundy Japanese Maple next to Firemound Spirea (burg and yellow-gold leaves). Stunning in spring when the burgundy color is showing the most on the spirea !

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
Companions for random edibles
This is my first year trying container gardening so...
meawea
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
emerogork2
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
Do companion benefits still apply when not planted in same soil?
Hi! I couldn't think of a succinct way to pose this...
monsteraston
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Garden View Beige 5' x 7' 6"
$99.00 | Home Depot
West Highland White Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Antique Pewter Mini Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures
Anthracite Burton Rug
$59.99 | zulily
Nickel Floor Lamps: Pivot 70 in. Satin Nickel Combo Floor Lamp 3268-22
$84.00 | Home Depot