Plant Id help

cherrykist(Z-7 NC)July 25, 2008

I bought this plant at the farmer's market. The lady didn't know what it was and neither do i. I thought it looked interesting so I bought it. I am having a hard time finding any info on it. Don't know where to plant it!

Any one have a clue?

Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

Crocosmia or Montbretia if you talk to anyone in England.

Easy perennials related to Iris. There are many colors available, all do well here and can take over a flowerbed.

Yours looks kinda like 'Lucifer' which is a hybrid but there are many that look alike.

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 1:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dibbit(z7b SC)

Crocosmia, looks like C. masoniorum, from the flower color, but might be one of the hybrids. They are hardy, from corms. They will spread a bit, if happy, but aren't invasive. They make good cut flowers. The species C. crocosmiflora used to be called montbretia, and can be found under that name in some lists. The species name also was changed some years ago from Tritonia. They will take full sun, but can take some shade, esp. afternoon, as well - might need it in the hottest areas.

Oh yeah, mine tend to grow up to the top of the soil over time, and periodically, I have to rebury a clump of corms as I spread mulch in the spring. They like well drained soil, but live, and flower, OK in my barely amended clay.

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™