Amaryllis belladonna or Naked Lady

pearlchowSeptember 23, 2008

What do you grow with your Amaryllis belladonna? I wanted to hide/cover the empty space when it's not leafed out or in bloom, plus the dying foliage and bloom stalks.

Any suggestions?

I'm in Sunset zone 15 if that helps.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiegirlz5

Can you grow hostas there? That is used here, I think planted in front of them. When they leaf out the hostas are just coming up. Then the hostas come up and hide the dying foliage. Later, the Naked Ladies appear to bloom right out of the hosta foliage.

I keep forgetting to move my bulbs so I can try this myself; has anyone here tried moving them when they're in leaf? I don't want to lose mine, they were a gift. I don't know exactly where they'll come up, as I have squirrel helpers.

Rigt now, mine are planted with Autumn Joy sedum, Blue Fortune agastache and Joe-pye weed. Pretty, but a little messy looking, so I want to try the hostas.

Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 9:18AM
pearlchow

Thanks Prairegirl for your response!
I love the look of hostas and tried them a couple of years ago. The problem is we live in a very dry summer climate and the hostas needed so much water. I'm trying to stick with plants that don't require quite so much water.
I do have the Autumn Joy sedum, plus some grasses (pennisetum, calamagrostis). Perhaps I could try that.
Thanks again!

Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 2:13PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The amaryllis doesn't like to be covered over. Try planting shorter plants in front of it, but nothing that will shade or crowd it.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 1:45AM
More Discussions
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
Emerogork2
Vegetable Companion Chart
There are still requests for my chart. That can only...
organicdan
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
Liatris, Grape Hyancith and Nodding Onion
I saw a "bargain bag" of Liatris at Lowes. I'm...
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™