Garlic benefits???

Organic_johnny(z6b SEPA)September 23, 2004

Tried posting on the organic forum...didn't even realize this forum was here!

I understand that garlic is supposed to be good for repelling varmints and maybe some insect pests...does anyone have a good list somewhere of what it repels, and how well it does it?

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on og forum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sherrymo(6 / Mo.)

Hi,
Read your post on organic forum and remembered seeing a link to a chart here. Garlic is good just about anyplace for repeling aphids. Roses do love garlic!
Hope this helps.
Sherry

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 3:16PM
bluebonnett(z7TX)

I took some courses on gardening and ask one of the professors from Texas A&M about companion plants such as garlic with roses marigolds with tomatoes. His reply was they may look pretty but no benefit. I STILL plant garlic by my roses and marigolds with tomatoes....not sure what the marigolds do for tomatoes but mine are putting on more blooms for a fall crop .

Bookmark   September 26, 2004 at 7:23PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I really enjoy growing, cooking with and teaching herbs. I have done extensive research on herbs including garlic which states that Garlic Allium sativum makes an excellent companion plant. It is suggested that you plant it near fruit trees (near the trunk), roses and raspberries since it is thought to deter aphids, tree borers and Japanese beetles. It improves the growth and health of other nearby plants, particularly cabbages, eggplants, tomatoes and fruit trees.

Bookmark   October 15, 2004 at 9:36AM
muddy2shoes(8B Houston TX)

marigolds are supposed to prevent nematodes. garlic repels just about all critters including deer, cats and some people.

Bookmark   October 20, 2004 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
What do you suggest under a flaming red Japanese Maple?
I can't figure what what plants would be great companions...
meyermike_1micha
What plant is this?
Goodafternoon I will appreciate very much if someone...
warrier
New to companion planting
Hi There First to introduce myself. I live in Saudi...
saoodhashim
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™