Pruning an overgrown Brugmansia

SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)October 4, 2012

My Charles Grimaldi is about 12 feet tall and looks just terrible. It has 3 trunks, one of which has a "Y" about 3 feet off the ground, but the other two have no foliage or branching until about 8 feet off the ground. There is also lots of tip die-back at the top of the canopy due to the freak freeze we had this winter.

I would like to prune it back in hopes of getting a better shaped, healthier looking and shorter specimen. However, in my climate, I am not sure when to do this since Brugs are in active growth all year round here. -I am thinking spring is probably best? Also, should I lop it all to the ground or leave just the one trunk that has a Y and cut it off right above the Y?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

I'll be watching this thread as I'm new to these as well.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:26AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I live in Florida and ours grow year around, too. I cut mine back whenever they look crappy or when I can pawn the cuttings off on someone - no certain time, except when they are forming buds, which is right now.

When Nov. gets here and they aren't likely to bloom again until March or May, I will whack them down to about a foot above the ground. Wherever you cut them, two branches will form. I think you can do it whenever it suits you.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 4:06PM
SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)

Thanks, Kay. That was just the info I needed. Looks like I will getting out the saw in November!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 9:15PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

FIRST - find someone to take your cuttings, unless you want to put them in a bucket and root them for yourself - I can't stand the thought of composting them!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:11PM
SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)

No worries; I volunteer as a propagator at the U.C. Berkeley Botanical Garden. They will become little baby brugs and will make some money for the garden (-:

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
Brugmansia Eternity
I think everyone should have no problems flowering...
boonboon
quick question
Should I cut off all the bottom growth so I have one...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Screwed By 7servant7
Well, Take a Look At The Picture 7servant7 Is Displaying...
byrd4460
Chocolate Brug
Gm, This is Eddie. Can you please email me at Eddie.Stiltner@my.lr.edu I...
eddiedewayne
Malted barley Teas
I always end up with extra cuttings so I root them...
rednofl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™