Name my Plectranthus, please

seedmoneyAugust 29, 2014

Greetings,
Spied this fine plant erroneously labeled as "Allamanda Yellow Bud" at a local nursery. Believe I may have a fine species of Plectranthus, but which one? Plants grow upright to 8 inches; the felted, opposite leaves are succulent and entire plant is covered in minute hair. Appreciate your insights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name my Plectranthus, please

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Hmmm...does it smell minty (Eucalyptus-y), or like Oregano, or like a skunk (not so likely)?

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 4:15PM
seedmoney

Roro,
The scent reminds me of incense, the kind Catholic priests burn on holy days. Does that make sense? :-0
Definitely not an unpleasant smell. Not really minty either (I have Plectranthus montanus (formerly P. cylindricus) which exudes a fruity minty smell detectable from a foot away). The fragrance on this one is only noticeable when you crush a leaf. Thanks for your help...

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 8:39PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Ohhh, it's been a VERY loooong time since I smelled THAT scent, and as I recall, I didn't like it very much. :P

Hmmm, s'okay...rules out Vicks Plant. I want to say it's Cuban Oregano, but there's seems to be too much confusion on the web as to what's what. So, I don't want to steer you the wrong way. I'll try to get back to this again. Dinner calls at the moment, though. :)

Running around, looking at P. amboinicus, oregano, neochilus, purpuratus...la la la.

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 9:16PM
LilBit7765

I got a cutting that looks like yours from someone that calls it a licorice plant but that's a common name for SEVERAL plants

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 11:33PM
mfyss

Any chance you could post a photo of your P. montanus? Flower photos should help, if you have them. Yale

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 5:36PM
seedmoney

Hi all,
What are your opinions with regard to the plectranthus in the link below being identical to mine? I realize mine is etiolated, but to my eye i think this may be what I have....

Plectranthus species from J Audissou, ex Lav & Horwood 10249 Galgallo. Somalia

Here is a link that might be useful: key to hidden identity?

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
Need a good place to buy Mesembs and cheridopsis
Hi folks, Looking for a place that has a good selection...
Bama_Joe
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
What kind of succulent is this?
Hi there. We cant seem to find what kind of succulent...
filipfilm
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
Need help IDing a hawthoria.
Any ideas? A penny used as a scale marker. Grantgarden2...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™