Blood orange

msharifi(9)March 5, 2012

I bought a blood orange tree from Armstrongs and I wanted to ask if it's normal to have light green leaves. I know they have lifetime guarantee.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

well normal, yes and no. Older leaves will natural turn yellow and fall off. Newer/younger ones usually is a sign of some type of nutrient problem. Im not good at diagnosing that so hold tight, ill get someone.

Mike

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:52AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

This is probably a little Nitrogen deficiency. Not uncommon for a tree that is sitting at a nursery for a bit, coming from the grower. No, not normal for a blood orange to have ALL light green leaves, but perfectly normal for all citrus to have new leaves that are lighter green. And, as Mike has also mentioned, older leaves will turn yellow and drop off. Again, perfectly normal. Not sure how long you've had this little tree in the ground, but follow the advice I gave you with your other trees, and you'll be just fine :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 9:53AM
msharifi(9)

Thank you Mike and Patty New leaves are green but the most of mature leaves are light green.

I got the tree a 2 weeks ago only one left but since my wife likes Blood orange I picked the only one and the leaves were that color so I know it wasn't me installing it wrong or over watering it. I will get follow the advice above :)

I love all type of citrus just to let you guys know what I have :)

Kumquat
oro blanco grapefruit
Valencia Orange
Navel Orange
Sour Orange
meyers improved lemon
Lime - Bearss
Owri Satsuma
Blood orange
and a unknown citrus tree that has never fruited

I love all my trees and I dont want them to get sick etc. :)

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 10:15AM

Great start, Mansoor! Which blood orange did you purchase, was it a Moro? I have two Moros and I really like them a lot. Looks like you've got a nice wide variety going! And don't worry at all about this blood orange, it will aclimate to your yard, and the few pale leaves will green up, or be replaced by new leaves. Citrus are pretty hard to kill in our area!

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 1:04PM
msharifi(9)

I got Moro How many citrus trees you got? Well my Satsuma tree is not doing too well I hope it recovers soon.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 1:36PM

All together I have about 40 different citrus varieties, and about 50 total citrus trees. Your Satsuma will be last to recover, so just make sure you continue to fertilize and do a few foliar micronutrient applications to help it along. Be sure not to over water, too. Sometimes we "over love" our citrus with water :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 1:56PM
msharifi(9)

Wow Patty you must have a big ranch or something.

I'm doing everything I can to save the tree.

Thanks

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 2:01PM

No, a little over an acre, but well designed and lots of usable space :-) And just to put your mind at ease, none of your trees appear to be in an jeopardy :-) They all actually look quite healthy. They'll all perk up in a month or two, as our weather and soils warm up. So, try not to fret too much. Just enjoy their lovely blossoms as they all begin to bloom for you over the next month or two!

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™