Late summer, early fall crops

scurbanfarmer(7b-8a)July 6, 2010

Good Afternoon everyone!

I'm working outside today pulling up tomato plants I've had in the ground since April.....and I was wondering if anyone else is now working on their late summer, or early fall planting?

My tomatoes did wonderfully well in the unusually barrage of heat and no rain they experienced early on.

I'm ammending my soil after I get the plants out with topsoil and compost....then I beleive i'm going to plant Dino Kale and Tree collards in their place.

I'm also putting in pumpkins so we will have them ready for Halloween.

I have already pulled out the main bunch of my summer squash, but I still have a few plants to go....then I'm going to try some quick growing tomatoes like Agatha and Silver fir tree in their place.

What are you working on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)

Wary of starting on too much with the heat and lack of rain, but I have started some kohlrabi (60 days) and climbing spinach and dill. I just need to refresh some of the dill seed. I also have some small tomato seedlings and peppers I'm going to set out. Need to go through my seeds and see what else I'm going to do. Tomatoes are just starting to yield and my cukes are looking good, but nothing off of them yet. Wanted beans but it's just to dry for them, may try some late okra if I can get it going. Hoping that this next week we'll get some good rain!

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 8:54PM
zenda

I can never get winter squash to survive the late summer onslaught of fungus and bugs--so I've already got my pumpkins this year! Any tips for how you manage to get such crops as you name to survive the deep, dry, hot and humid weather?

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 3:58PM
benflower

Sorry, I'm probably in a bad mood now-- it's been in the high 90's for so long and we've had so little rain, why oh why would I even think of planting anything now? All I want to do is pull up my poor suffering tomatoes and wait for spring!!

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™