Planting Strawberry and Garlic together

sequiNovember 6, 2007

On some companion lists, I see that strawberry and garlic are listed as incompatible. Does anybody know why that is?

On other lists, they're not listed together, and in searches of posts, a couple of people thought they went well together.

It's my first year for both strawberries and garlic, and I interplanted them this fall. I just figured that when the garlic would come up through the strawberries after they runner all over the place.

I was also hoping the garlic would keep pests out of the strawberry patch.

What does "incompatible" mean I should expect?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wild_forager

It might flavor the straberries, or maybe the straberries choke out the garlic. It's hard to say. I haven't seen many explanations as to why things are incompatible. Sometimes they just compete for the same nutrients.

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 1:03PM
lorna-organic

Plants give off chemicals. Roses like the chemicals given off by onions, so roses and onions are good companion plants. I don't know specifically about garlaic and strawberries, however, both like acid conditions.

I use santolina bushes as insect repellants in my strawberry bed. I have a raised bed, about sixteen feet long by three feet wide. I have three santolina at equal distances. Haven't had any problems with insects in that bed since I put in the santolinas.

Lorna

Bookmark   January 9, 2008 at 12:52PM
luckynes13(6a)

I was asking myself the same question, so I did a couple of searches and http://www.westcoastseeds.com/topicdetail/topic/companion-planting/
Here they say it is okay to plant them together.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
companion plant unfinished visual pic
i am a visual learner and so i created a visual companion...
QuinnaBrennan
Liatris, Grape Hyancith and Nodding Onion
I saw a "bargain bag" of Liatris at Lowes. I'm...
edlincoln
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
Companions for random edibles
This is my first year trying container gardening so...
MeaWea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™