lemon grass

hoosierhiver(s.indiana)November 21, 2006

hi,i've had a hard time finding information on growing lemongrass,any ideas on what plants would be good companion plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
I have my lemongrass in a large pot that gets dragged in for the winter every year. I have a garden window so I keep it there and it doesn't go dormant. I've read you could keep it in a cooler room and it will go dormant for winter, but I don't have experience with that.
Lemongrass does well in a large pot in full sun outside when it is warm. I have Gerber Daisies in the pot with it. They are a tender perennial for me also. The Gerber daisies have rounded foliage in low rosettes so they make a nice contrast to the upright lemon grass. I did have a sweet potato vine trailing out of the pot at one time, and that looked good also. Look for a full sun tender perennial that stays low with contrasing foliage that appeals to you. Or plant full sun annuals that contrast nicely with the lemon grass and then pull them out for the winter. Then you could do something different every year if your more of a like to try something new every year kind of person.
Remy

Bookmark   December 4, 2006 at 9:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GardenMom13(6)

I realize this thread is 5 years old, but since I had the same question, it bears a revival. According to Chermarie on Hubpages (http://chermarie.hubpages.com/hub/companionplanting), lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) deters many insects, esp. when planted in conjunction with lemon verbena (Lippia citriodora). The ever-powerful Wikipedia lists citronella and a few other insect repellant components in it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbopogon_citratus), and since the lemongrass I bought from the market has established some nice roots, I'm about to find out if it actually works as an insect repellant. We have some pretty aggressive bugs out here in Okinawa, and I'm always on the lookout for ways to protect my precious "children".

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 3:20AM
More Discussions
myrtle pot
Hello Everyone I've been quite a while trying to grow...
TalSlavisnki
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
emerogork2
New to companion planting
Hi There First to introduce myself. I live in Saudi...
saoodhashim
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Hand-woven Sisal Natural/ Olive Seagrass Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Woodstock Kyoto 25 in. Wind Chime - KWS
$40.80 | Hayneedle
Artificial Grass: EZ Hybrid Turf Flooring 6-1/2 x 10 ft. Artificial Grass
$90.97 | Home Depot
Lemon 1.5-Qt. Colander
$13.99 | zulily
Korver Leather Bench - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Woodstock Jade 25 in. Wind Chime - JC
$25.50 | Hayneedle
Lemon Wall Accent