Came back from vacation, a few surprises!

DavidL.caAugust 16, 2014

I know these plants can take even longer neglecting, but I went on a week-and-a-half trip and was worried about my plants a bit, came home to feel quite relieved and found a few surprises, thought I'd share!

First the flowers! The Senecio kleiniiformis finally opened its buds, slowly but steadily! The stalk is now super long and I have to adjust it to help it to stay in position every other day..

The bud for unknown Stapelia grown a whole lot for just a week! It went from this:

To this:

Key Lime pie is also taking its time on the flower, but it definitely moved a bit this week...

Anacampseros seeds! The flower bud dried up and look what's inside :D

No idea what to do with these, maybe I'll ebay them haha, but there's not that many

Some nice growths on my propagation window too:

The leaves used for propagation are starting to shrivel away

The crazy etiolated Echie that I chopped are having some new growth everywhere.. but I don't know where this will go @@

Last but not least, also received my year-old Lithops seedlings and potted them up. They're definitely much tinier than I thought! I think it's okay for these to stay in one pot for now when they're young.

Can you spot them? ;)

So yeah, I'm glad all of them seemed to endure it pretty well. I had timer set for my grow lights and fan to run in the morning and towards the end of night.

Wonder how they would do if the vacation was a month or two though...!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
notolover(5)

That was a nice surprise--they look very happy. That's the beauty of most succulents, they don't mind a little neglect.

Water (for my veggie garden), light and fan timers really help, though.

Love your little lithops!

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 10:33AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Maybe you need to take more vacations! :^)

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 10:58AM
DavidL.ca

@notolover Yup I'm definitely learning that they like you to ignore them, but sometimes it's just so hard to resist xD. And lights and fan timers definitely help because my window isn't the brightest. Thanks!

@hoovb Haha I wish!

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 5:50PM
kathi_mdgd

Those all look good,i've got several things now in different stages of blooming.Exciting isn't it?? Tfs
kathi

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 6:17PM
DavidL.ca

Yes! I didn't think my plants would bloom at all this year, so it was exciting enough to see them spitting out the flower stalks, and now they're actually giving me flowers. I cheated a bit of course sometimes, for the Stapelia I chose one that had a little bud already xD

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 11:10PM
veggie_girl

I love those kind of surprises! I worry about my plants when I'm gone too.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:56PM
DavidL.ca

For sure! But they're so much tougher than you think, haha. This bud is going wild, before I thought it could be S. gigantea, but from the hint of red I'm thinking it might be one of the red variants. Stapelia hirsuta or paniculata?

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
What kind of succulent is this?
Hi there. We cant seem to find what kind of succulent...
filipfilm
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
Cactus ID?
Purchased this one without a tag. It's about 14"...
fireweed22
This Kalanchoë
Is anyone familiar with this Kalanchoë? The tag says:...
hablu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™