Clementine

DTMFMarch 24, 2013

I Need Help! I have a Clementine tree (yes, I know that they technically are supposed to be sterile, but I managed to sprout pips I found in one), and it is dying! It was growing strong for a year, then the radiator in the room sprung a leak and I think scalded it because it began dropping leaves within days, even after the climate had been stabilized ... and it won't stop! The main stem has begun drying out and turning brown, and the leaves just keep falling! I don't know what to do!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Clementine mandarins are not "sterile", you can certainly start seeds from a Clementine. However, Clementine madarins are monoembryonic, so you're going to get a hybrid of a Clementine and whatever other citrus happened to be nearby, and pollinated the flower that produced that fruit with the seeds you're planting.

If you would post photos, we can help you a bit better. Have you checked to see if perhaps you're dealing with root rot? Check the roots of your tree to see if they're water logged. If so, I would try to transplant in better-draining potting medium. If you search the forum for "511" mix, you will find the recipe for this mix, which works very well for indoor container citrus. Is it warm enough for you where you live (you do not have your location enter in your "Zone" field) to be able to put your citrus tree outside to get some sunshine? Are you fertilizing, and if so, with what and how frequently? We need more info in order to help you out.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 1:07AM
DTMF

I honestly don't know what root-rot would look like... I did notice that the pot it was in was not draining well, because the soil was always moist, so I transplanted it into my greenhouse garden, which drains exceptionally well; it now shares 15 cubic feet of soil (1 part organic compost, 1 part peat, 1 part vermiculite, mildly acidic) with a few radishes and lettuce. I used an 8-11-11 fertilizer monthly when it was in the pot, but I have not fertilized it since the transplant (about 3 weeks). The greenhouse is south-facing, but still only gets about 8 hours of sunlight in the off-seasons, so I augment it with "high-output" T5 grow lamps for two hours in the morning and evening.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:26PM
DTMF

This is a close up of the main stem.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:37PM
DTMF

bump

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 6:43PM
eahamel(9a)

You may have been over-fertilizing it. But that wouldn't cause the problem it is having. Part of the problem may be shock from being transplanted and moved.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™