And The Fourth Year They Make You Say Holy Bleep!

harryshoe zone6 eastern PennsylvaniaMay 7, 2009

My two Betty Cornings reached 5' on April 30th of their 4th season. She was 6' yesterday after 6 consecutive days of rain. Each plant has about 8 growing vines. It looks almost frightening.

I think I'm gonna need a bigger arbor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

This will be my third year for Betty and I'm excited but slightly scared as well. She reached the top of the trellis (9')in the first year but wasn't thick. Last year was much fuller. This year could be scary. LOL :)

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 12:08PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Mine began very small when sent by Completely Clematis. Years 1 and 2 gave little warning of what was to come. Last year she became substantial.

This year I'm gonna need a chair and a whip.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 1:44PM
stimpy926

Wow, I could have been in this boat but the Betty I bought 2 years ago was mislabled. I'll remember this when I do get one.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 1:45PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Harry..I remember when you were researching clematis years ago and to think..it's been 4 years?..WOW...congrats...Hey where's the pic...Jeanne

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 1:58PM
sue_ct(z6 CT)

Do you ever get a little a scared when you walk by one, or just look over your shoulder a little uneasily...

:)

Sue

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 7:25PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Sue,

Right now it kind of reminds me of a giant squid, swimming straight down. Or maybe a jellyfish. Long tendrils trailing behind. I will be less frightened when it leafs out more or I spread the canes latterly.

Maybe I watch the SciFi channel too much.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 8:00AM
sue_ct(z6 CT)

I have a rose that should be checked if I ever disappear.

:)

I watch too much tv, too.

Sue

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 11:59PM
almondstriations

I'm so excited to read this because I just planted 2 on one side of my porch (to grow up the rails), and hope to plant to more on the other side this year. I'm so looking forward to when they really take off!! I would love to see some pictures if you have any.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 5:22PM
cnetter(z5 Co)

almondstriations, are you near Denver? If so, O'Tooles on Wadsworth up north just got a huge amount of 1 gallon gorgeous clematis that are blooming so you can that they are correctly labeled. I wish I had more room - they had Anna-Louise, Bourbon, Comtesse de Bouchaud, Franziska Maria, harlow carr, Ice Blue, Josephine, Rosemoor, Victor Hugo, Vino, wisley and other I don't rememer. On sale for $9.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 6:36PM
almondstriations

Thanks for the tip! I'm up in Erie, but I have a sister in Denver so I'm down there pretty regularly. I've never been to O'Tooles but will have to swing by this week. I have Comtesse de Bouchaud and will look into the others you mentioned since I'm not familiar with most of them yet (though the names sound familiar from reading this forum). I still have 5 more from the Koi order to get in the ground though (and an active toddler keeping me from doing much planting) so I'd better not go too crazy... Thanks again for letting me know!

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 11:01PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Harlow Carr is a non climber so you can stick her in between shrubs or perennials instead of trying to worry about a trellis.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
ianrtaylor
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™