Loropetalum: can it take full southern sun?

dyhgarden(7b)July 28, 2008

We've got to do some re-arranging in front of our house which is full south facing. I have a few ruby loropetalum hidden away in the outer garden and I'd like to bring one inside the fence. (Deer eat them, so the ones outside the fence are practically buried behind other shrubs and ornamental grasses.)

So...can the loropetalum take the all day sun?

Thanks,

Cameron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

I have two that get full sun 3/4 of the day and my husband had to trim them today for the 3rd time this year - they are growing great - I have two in the woods that I have limbed up to be trees - most of the growth is on the sunny side. To answer your question I would say yes......

Lynne

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 10:43PM
blondiesc

Yes, definitely yes. Mine get full sun and I'm further south than you.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 11:01PM
nikkineel(GA 8/7b)

Mine are in full sun and LOVE it! Nikki

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 11:11PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Great! I love loropetalum but haven't been able to enjoy mine because of the deer striping the branches. I just checked the ones that I have hidden from the deer and they are blooming for the first time since they were planted in fall 2005.

I want to combine 'Ruby Star' echinacea and pink muhly with the loropetalum. The stone used on our house is a PA Bluestone that is called 'lilac heather' and the burgundy/deep pink colors work well with it. These will have our stone chimney in the background and I'll keep the Indian Hawthornes and Robert Poore phlox next to the chimney. We're going to pull a weeping cherry that gets eaten by JBs and is always full of wasps.

Thanks!

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 8:12AM
zigzag

Cameron, I have lorapetalum in both dappled to deep shade and blazing, relentless full afternoon sun and they're all very happy. Go for it!

I didn't realize they were on the deer menu - guess I've been very lucky as my front yard plants (unfenced) have never been touched and my neighborhood is a regular Bambi hostel. Knocking on wood .....

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™