Help to decide between Polish Spirit, Bonanza or Galore?

pmermakov(Zone 6 (OH))May 16, 2011

Hi, I created a fence of clematis that are all type 3's. So far I have, Rhapsody, Abundance, Prince Charles, Royal Velours, Venosa Violacea, Purpurea Plena Elegans and then I have space for one more. I'm thinking about planting either, Polish Spirit, Bonanza or Galore. Any photos or suggestions are welcome.

I'm also thinking of ordering, Miss Bateman and Allanah to plant in other locations. It has been almost a year since I've gotten hooked on collecting clematis and I'm now have over 50! I can't wait for them to start blooming.

Thanks for the help.

Mercy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michael_in_chicago(z5)

I would choose a non-purple variety given the ones you already have there. All but Abundance are purple/blue (though VV also has white). How about another pink or a white? Viticella/type 3's that would fit this would be:

Mrs. T. Lundell
Margot Koster
Comtesse de Bouchaud
Hagley Hybrid
Tentel
Madame Baron Veillard
Alba Luxurians

If you need to choose one of those three, Vesuvius (Galore) is a great, strong grower, though Polish Spirit is a tried and tested cultivar.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 12:56PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Betty Corning is the same color as Prince Charles but has much smaller flowers that are scented. One of my faves.

Minuet and Tango have small variegated flowers

Huldine and Alba Luxurians are nice whites

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 8:41PM
pmermakov(Zone 6 (OH))

Thanks everyone for your help. I think most of the ones I have on the wall are burgundy red shade. I ended up moving my small Jackmanii to the spot, after going on a clematis shopping trip to the local garden center! I bought Amethyst Beauty and Vienetta, to plant in Jackmanii's old spot. So far, I just moved Jackmanii, but haven't planted the new ones because it doesn't stop raining here in Ohio. Thanks again for the help!

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 5:58PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Polish Spirit is a huge growing dark purple. Blooms longer for me than Etoile Violette but looks very similar.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 11:42AM
katie(Zone 8a NoCA)

Last year Galore was a blooming machine for me. It would be my choice.

However in the case of your wall I would add Betty Corning for a blue color, just don't put next to Prince Charles.

Katie

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™