What is eating my cherry tree leaves?

shd68July 6, 2007

Hi,

I live in Durham and something is eating up my newly planted cherry trees like crazy! Also eating the sunflowers nearby, but not the new dogwoods or tomato plants. I never actually see anything on them, just leaves that are seriously munched. It's getting to the point that I really think it could kill these little trees. Any thoughts on culprits and/or cures? I know Japenese Beetles are a big problem around here, but I don't know if they eat cherry leaves and why I wouldn't see them around if they were the evildoers.

Thanks!

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

Maybe blister beetles -- they eat poisonous things. They look a lot like lightening bugs and scurry along the ground.

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 9:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tammy Kennedy

jbs very well might- the like other prunus species members. to see if it's jb's, go out midday and shake your tree. if a swarm of bugs come flying off, they are likely jb's. sometimes they can be hard to see. also, cherries are a favorite of tent caterpillars, and they will completely defoliate them. but- i'd think you'd notice the tent. even if the pillars were still small, if you notice a dense white webbing at the juncture of some of the branches, you've got tent caterpillars. there are a couple broods a year.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
anyone grow Pseudosasa japonica?
Does anyone on this forum have Pseudosasa japonica?...
cousinfloyd
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™