Watermelon bottoms turning black

thafoolJuly 27, 2009

Having a problem with growing watermelons - this is my first time trying them and I can't find anything on the internet that has really explained what is happening. My baby watermelons, within a day or two of forming, are turning black and leathery on the bottom. The plant/vines/leaves appear fine, and I haven't noticed any particular insects hanging about, so I'm suspecting fungal, but I'm not sure. I thought blossom end rot at first, but it's happening where they touch the ground, not on the blossom end like they do on squash etc. Any ideas (and possible solutions :) are appreciated - I'm going to start an anti-fungal for now and see what happens... which reminds me - never used anti-fungals either - any recommendations???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stemy(z7 Fort Mill, SC)

A picture might be good if you're still having the issue. Have you tried setting the melons on something (besides the ground) as soon as they start forming?

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 8:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stemy(z7 Fort Mill, SC)

Black rot?

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/veg/htms/blkrtcuc.htm

Watermelon.
Spots start as small, round, dark greenish-tan to black water-soaked areas.
They enlarge slowly, becoming brown to black in the center.
They remain smooth for a long time, but become depressed as they enlarge.
The spots are usually surrounded by a narrow water-soaked area with an irregular border.
Under moist conditions, tiny pale and dark dots develop in the center of the spots, although these can be difficult to see.
The spots may become leathery, the centers become darker, and cracks may radiate from the center of the spots.
When humidity is high, a white cottony fungal growth may grow over the spots. Gummy ooze is usually absent.
If the fruit is sliced open, cutting the spot in half, the rind is dark brown to black directly below the spot, and progressively lighter toward the edges.

Here's a pic I found on a pumpkin:

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™