Wonderful afternoon in the garden!

nannerbelle(8A)July 1, 2008

Well, the last two afternoons have been beautiful here. Light ocean feeling breeze, temps in the upper 80's and low humidity. I wanted to do some gardening yesterday but had to take one of my pups in for her annual checkup. So I did manage a little weeding but not much more than that. This afternoon, I got to finish up with work around 5:30 (Yeah, normal time for once!!) and got outside by 5:45 this afternoon. I got the rest of my kitchen window bed tilled up. That was huge especially getting the tiller to crank LOL. I also got the tilling done for some plantings I want to do out at the edge of the lawn in my "Palm and Cactus" garden. I got 4 Pink Pampas grass in at the edge of this garden and my 2 Black Magic EE's at the kitchen window. I transplanted a Musa Basjoo that over wintered and really didn't like it's location. I wouldn't have moved it now but it was really really struggling. So I thought I may as well give it a good chance in a closer bed with some better conditions. I then watered the veggies, the gardinias and hibiscus, and purple fountain grass I put in about a month ago, watered the new plantings and had a face to face with a beautiful male Ruby Throated Hummingbird that was checking out my work. He then flew off to play with 3 or 4 of his friends, darting over the decks and playing around the feeders. What a wonderful afternoon!! I hope to have the weed barrier complete and mulch in the new beds by the end of the holiday weekend!! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_daisy

Thanks for that wonderful description of a great day in the garden. Sometimes I have wondered over the years about living in a different place with lower humidity. Guess we'll just have to settle for the occasional day here and there. Have you thought about being a garden writer Nannerbelle? Linda :O)

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 9:23AM
dyhgarden(7b)

Yes, wonderful description!

It's all worth the gardening effort, isn't it?

Cameron

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 4:25PM
nannerbelle(8A)

Thank you!! Yes, it is definatly worth the effort!! I'm having a lot of fun with gardening this year. I can see some things starting to come together and it's so rewarding! And my little Basjoo is doing wonderfully!! I actually planted the plant, which turned out to be a pup when I dug it up. I then took the old corm and put it in a planter full of good rich potting soil. I now have a new plant about 2 inches tall!! I had a great holiday weekend, I got one of 4 beds under construction completed. Now to add the plants!! (the real fun part!!) And I had a good shopping trip to Home Depot. I picked up a beautiful pink Brug, some nice Calidiums (sp) to go with the EE's, a flat of Portulaca, a couple of New Zealand Cabbage Palms, and some really pretty double impatins and some ornamental pepper. I got part of them in today, and the rain caught up with me. So to finish up tomorrow!! :-)

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™