Spirea van houtte

dspeer75July 13, 2008

I planted 22 as a hedge over Memorial Day. They were root bound and I loosened them up some but not drastically. I've been keeping them watered at least twice a week, and we have had pretty good rain the past week. My problem is they look terrible. The interior leaves yellowed the first weeks in the ground. Now they have begun to brown. There is new growth, but not enough to keep me happy nor to supplant the leaves lost.

Apex Nursery, where they were purchased, said they were very hardy and hard to kill and to keep them watered. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spazzycat_1

Well, because they were planted so late in the season, I think all that you could hope for this summer is that they hold their own. New growth is a good sign. Some dieback is not unusual. June was a very, very dry month around here. We very nearly lost some Lonicera 'Lemon Beauty' that were planted in April.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 9:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurabs(7b)

I would just trim them back to allow the new growth to show and let light in.

I planted a Japanese acuba last fall, and it was doing fine until early summer. Now it looks completely dead. I've had them before and they were easy, so you never know I guess.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™