What would you have planted first?

christy2828(8a)July 2, 2011

Hi all!!! I'm a Coast Guard Mom, moving to Hertford, NC. I will be stationed there for 3 - 4 years. We are renting up there, but have permission to plant what we want. I've been stationed in places for 4 -5 years at a time, and if I had it all over again, some plants I would have planted first!!!!! Namely, phlox and bulbs in DC and my Plumeria trees in Miami. If you were to do it all over again, what plants would you have planted first? I love sweet and fragrant, butterflies and especially hummingbirds :)

BTW, I had hummers in Pembroke Pines (Miami) for 6 MONTHS!!!! They just loved my pink powder puff :)

Thanks!!!! Christy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dellare(7NC)

As soon as I saw the question, I thought phlox. Rudbeckia and coneflower would be second and third. All are easy to grow and very rewarding. Love that they seed around.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 11:04PM
christy2828(8a)

I had a Phlox David, but it reverted to pink. I had one by my front door and it smelled so good! Which Phlox would you have picked?

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 11:15PM
pfmastin(8 N. Carolina)

Welcome! I'd go with salvias (perennial and annual) for the hummers and Bright Lights cosmos and Buddleia for butterflies.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 10:59PM
trianglejohn

I would also plant gardenias. Buy them as big as you can afford because they can sometimes be slow to grow. They can be tricky to get to bloom while in a pot but most of them have no trouble blooming once in the ground.

Last year all the butterfly action was focused on my zinnias, this year it is all about coneflowers (but not the double or mop top types).

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 9:46AM
christy2828(8a)

This property is BARE!!!! He planted about 12 Dwarf Burning Bush in various locations around the house. They are all about 6" tall. There is not one flower or tree on the entire acre!!! Not much in the neighbors' yard's, either. I realize I am renting, and will not be able to retain what I plant, but I must leave my fingerprint!!! I'm looking at planting a sweet olive tree - Fruitlandii (I'm in 7b, 27944), some Phlox 'David', and some Lo and Behold Blue Chip Buddleia. I bought on clearance today some wave petunias, regular petunias, some lantana, dahlia's, stella d' oro and a hibiscus - a hardy one to this zone (Rose of Sharon? It's maroon in color). Any thoughts? Clearly I get good heavy sun - there is not ONE tree!!!! There is no shade - I would love a fast growing tree!!! Thanks :) Christy

Oh, and I love fragrant, butterflies, year round color (not from one plant, of course :) and Hummingbirds!!!

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 8:13PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Vitex,vitex,vitex. Fragrance and fast grower.

Hummers will like your hibiscus but they'll love you if you plant salvias and other tube shaped flowers that are long bloomers.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 11:36PM
christy2828(8a)

I put in two Black and Blue Salvia today! I'm considering a Pineapple Salvia, but the one I had in Maryland always bloomed after the hummers left. Also considering a hot lips salvia. I'll look at that Vitex!!!!

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™