pruning newbie

bluegarden27(z5 NH)May 15, 2011

Hi,

I started growing clemantis two years ago. I have 2 that I have never pruned and they are looking leggy with blossoms only higher up... I now realize I need to prune them to prevent this but is it too late. One is a polish spirit and I think the other is Jackmanji Should I prune now to about 6" or wait till the fall? I live in Southern NH.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

They can be pruned now without harming the plant. It's up to you. You can go ahead and enjoy the bloom and cut them back early next spring or cut them back to eliminate the bare stems.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 6:03PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

That is what happens when you don't hard prune pruning group 3's for they bloom on the new vines that are produced in the growing season..they will only bloom at the top where the new vines have formed..Hard prune down to the first leaf nodes...and do it each late winter/early spring..same time you usually prune your Roses or when the Forsythia's are in bloom...Jeanne

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 8:09AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I am in central NH, just north of Concord. For this year you could hard prune some of the vines to the first or second node - they may still bloom as most of my vines in central NH are 3 feet or less right now from their pruning. Leave the rest of the plant unpruned for this year so you get at least some flowers in case the pruned ones don't bloom and then prune the whole plant next winter (and each winter after this as Jeanne said) to get the whole vine blooming.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 11:15AM
bluegarden27(z5 NH)

Ok. I will prune them to the first leaf nodes and give them a hard prune next year. Thank you all for your advice.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 5:41PM
gardengal48

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page.....when you are advised to prune back to the first or second leaf node, that is measured from the ground. And that IS considered hard pruning :-) I think nhbabs was suggesting that if the vine has multiple stems, you could hard prune some and leave the rest. That should help to increase fullness through the body of the plant and quite possibly still result in flowering on the pruned growth.

However, if the clematis have never been pruned since you planted them, chances are very good they won't have a lot of stems emerging from the root crown... maybe even just a single stem :-) You can still prune now if you wish - at this point in the season, there should still enough time for a type 3 to produce flowering growth. You just may not see flowers until quite late in the season.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 9:41PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Thanks for clarifying, GG. That's exactly what I meant.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™