Charleston Area - Nursery/Backyard Gardener Recommendations Plz

eldemilaJuly 3, 2014

Will be spending a few days in Charleston this coming week and would love to get some recommendations on nurseries and/or backyard gardeners if anyone can help.

Would like to find a good source for daylilies, iris, butterfly bush,(looking for something different, have 25 different ones), among others. Basically, just some reasonable priced plants that are a bit different, or a place that has a good variety and that's reasonably priced.

Would like to find some different fig plants. Kiowa blackberry is at top of my list but doubt I can find it around there.

TIA for any and all help. Will check for replies periodically.

Forget the malls...plants are my guilty pleasure

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lsst(7b)

Hyams on Folly Rd.
Brownswood Nursery-Johns Island
Abide A While- Mt. Pleasant

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 7:26PM
eldemila

I went to all 3 even before seeing your reply...was very disappointed with every place I went. The only thing I found was a LSU Fig, and that was at Walmart, and I had to drive about 20 minutes because the ones near the hotel was covered with mites, as this one was, but not nearly as bad.

I would have thought there would have been a much better selection.

Thanks for the input though, appreciate it!

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:00PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

debelli, by means of explanation..tourist cities like Charleston area and Charlotte the land value is just too high to be affordable for the better garden centers we prefer. It takes a fair distance away in less pricey suburbs to find these garden center gems run by people who know plants and area soils and growing conditions. They are much fewer and farther between than they used to be and if they don't have a good website with directions, they're doomed. One year they're there and you've made an exciting discovery.
Next year, they're gone.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™