Can they really do well in FULL sun?

njmomma(z6 NJ)May 4, 2010

Someone just posted that they are afraid they may get too much sun in a certain spot. I know different clems can handle different degrees of shade, but I planning on putting Comtesse de Bouchaud and Barbara Harrington in FULL sun on an arbor.

Am I in trouble?

thanks,

Natanya

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oakleyok

Nj, I think that was me who sait it. When I used to grow Clematis, I had them on the east side of the house and they'd get sun until noon or so, and they did great. I always heard they should get morning sun only.

But since I bought the Ramona, I read several places to give it full sun, which is about 8 hours a day.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 2:49PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

yes, they can do really well in full sun.

Some colors do fade in full sun but most prefer sun over shade.

Nelly Moser, Hagley Hybrid, Richard Pennell are three that I know fade badly. This does not affect the plant just the blooms.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 3:33PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Natanya..Sun amounts,intensity and zone is something that should always be part of the thought process when choosing where to plant clematis. For instance..my zone of 8B in Texas has very hot summers..pruning group 3's adore it..especially my Florida's..but some of my pruning group 2's really do fade or droop if not properly watered..which is HUGELY important down here in Summertime...I have a Sprinkler system which services my front and side gardens but NONE in the back gardens...so soaker hoses and hand watering is a task I perform until I work out getting my new drip system going!!..I have found the Japanese Varieties prefer morning sun and afternoon shade down here..and others get brown-out by August...I have both Clematis "Barbara Harrington" & "Comtesse de Bouchard" and they BOTH adore the tons of sun I am letting them have..so they should flourish just beautifully in your zone 6.I would think your zone must be heaven for clematis...just like the three bear..not too hot and not too cold..but just right!

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™