Tea Tin Planters

suivezmoi(8)August 5, 2014

So I've paused with my collecting of creepy old ceramic planters, mainly because I am too worried about them not having drainage holes (will be able to borrow a drill in a few weeks).

The nursury I go to has a lot of interesting planters, the ones I have been really taken with are the beer cans ones (Lonestar of course) and using other tin/metal vessels. I ordered a few tea and coffee tins, and these two were the first ones that came in and I like how they turned out.

This was how I started (though I ended up changing plants for the green tin, thought that one might feel too crowded)

The bear paws seemed like they were a good size

Overhead view before planting. I stabbed lots of drainage holes in the bottom with a nail.

These are two other planters I have been working on. However I think I am going to get some air plants for them. I don't think any succs would be amused by being crammed in them :P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
_sbgibbons_

I plant in tea tins and coffee tins that I get at yard sales, local antique shops, or just after I'm finished drinking the tea I buy cause it comes in a tin. I'll plant in anything I can drill holes in really. I like repurposing things you wouldn't usually use into planters. I also use vegetable cans and tuna cans. You can paint the outside of them and rough them up with some sandpaper and that looks really cool. I've also seen some rapped in hemp or twine that looks nice. I want to try that as well. I've seen the dinosaurs on etsy and I thought they were really cute. If you propagate, a small echeveria of some sort would fit in there for the time being. Anyway, I love your planters. Keep up the good work. :)

This post was edited by Sbgibbons on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 23:05

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stoneys_fatali(9b Duarte,Ca.)

I love the Stegosaurus. He's cool!

Stoney

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
At a crossroads - potting - plastic or clay for indoor area?
I'm using gritty mix 1-1-1, mostly 4" clay pots...
Bama_Joe
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Can you please name the exact variety of this cactus (Qatar)
Many YouTube videos and articles say cactus is good...
maufie123
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™