ID help and care question

Hummingbird597(6)August 3, 2014

Thanks in advance! I lost a couple of my succulents to squirrels this summer and consoled myself with this little collection I found at Home Depot - amazingly (for the mixed containers) the pot has a drainage hole and no glued rocks. It was (un)helpfully labeled "succulent garden". I am tentatively planning to keep them potted together but would like to ID them so I can be sure care is the same (I know watering will be, but I was wondering about light, hardiness, etc.) I know the dark one at the top is Sedeveria 'Jet Beads' as I already have one. I am suspicious the littlest one is some kind of Haworthia but I'm not sure, and in particular if it is a Haworthia I wonder if it should be potted separately. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hummingbird597(6)

Here is a closer picture of the one I think is a Haworthia (maybe?). If any other pictures would be helpful let me know.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 12:49PM
denniso_z9_so_cal(z9 So.Calif)

The plant in question I don't believe is a Haworthia. I believe that it is a Crassula, perhaps 'Springtime'. The leaves on Crassula grow in matched opposing pairs. Should be fine with the plants in your grouping.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 1:57AM
spapa

Definitely a crassula, and yes all of these should be fine together. In terms of light, they need a lot, morning sun is best but they can stand afternoon as well if properly acclimated. If being kept indoors they will need to be close to a south-facing window to receive enough light. They are not cold hardy; the hardiest would be the small sedum which can go down to zone 5. The echeveria and pachy, though, are around zone 9 - so unless you live in a very warm part of the country, they will need to be indoors at least some of the year.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 3:03AM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

I would also say, as denniso, Crassula 'Springtime'.
Looks like Sedum adolphii on the left.
An Echeveria in the back (lighter color).
Tiny one in front likely a Sedum (would be nice to see closer pix of each).
Echeveria pulvinata (maybe) flowering in the center.
Pachyphytum, front, left

Nice score...esp. no glued rocks!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 5:29PM
stoneys_fatali(9b Duarte,Ca.)

Good looking plants hummingbird!

Stoney

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:58PM
kwie2011(8a/8b W. OR)

I don't think anyone mentioned Kalanchoe tomentosa - the fuzzy one with dark edges close to the center.

Did someone ID the lovely bunch of blue ground cover? I'd like to know what that is. Very pretty.

That is a lot of species in one pot! Definitely a nice haul, and one in bloom! Good deal.

Am I mistaken, or is that a combination of winter-dormant and summer-dormant species? The Echeveria might be the only winter-dormant species there. Are they okay together because Echeveria is so tolerant of water during its dormancy period?

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:42PM
kwie2011(8a/8b W. OR)

I'll take a stab at the blue ground cover with the tiny leaves - Sedum reflexum. I saw a very similar cultivar in a shop recently and almost bought it, but it was pink and light green, and not nearly as pretty as your little bunch of blue.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:13PM
Hummingbird597(6)

Thanks for all the tips and names! I looked up C. 'Springtime' the flowers are gorgeous. I will try to get closer pics esp. of the little Sedum. The day after I took these pics the squirrels found it, luckily I was able to move it to a protected area before they got more than a nibble.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:53PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Kwie, there is no Kalanchoe tomentosa in the pot (that would be grey). The one you speak of is an Echeveria (has an inflorescence on it). Determining which is a bit tricky.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 11:55AM
kwie2011(8a/8b W. OR)

Wait a minute... That fuzzy brown plant with the dark edges isn't Kalanchoe tomentosa 'Chocolate soldier'? I have only my little mobile screen and can't tell what plant is flowering, but from what I can see, there is s little fuzzy brown plant that looks just like my fuzzy little brown plant. We're talking about the same plant?

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 1:22PM
spapa

That's correct, it is not 'Chocolate soldier.' It is growing in an upward fashion because it is flowering, but rosemarie is right that it is an echeveria. Possibly Echeveria pulvinata, E. pulvinata 'Ruby' or something similar. There is probably someone on the forum who grows it and could make a positive ID based on the flowers.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 5:10PM
kwie2011(8a/8b W. OR)

Looks like I'll have to quit practicing my ID skills until I have more than a 2.5 inch screen. Sorry if I confused things, Hmmingbird. Hey, of you ever pinch that tiny-leaved, blue Sedum ground cover there in the front, I'll trade you a pinched end for whatever I can pinch in my collection.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:04PM
Hummingbird597(6)

Ok I got my real camera and have better pics. bear with me posting them separately!
First the one that is blooming, I think it is E. pulvinata 'Ruby' or 'Ruby Blush' as someone said above. these are the leaves (the fuzzy ones in the middle)...

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:37PM
Hummingbird597(6)

...and the flowers.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:39PM
Hummingbird597(6)

Is this the pachyphytum? I've never seen anything quite like it.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:42PM
Hummingbird597(6)

I think this one is the sedum adolphi mentioned above?

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:48PM
Hummingbird597(6)

I think this one might be Sedum rubrotinctum or a hybrid of it? It's the one critters got to but the wounds seem to be callusing well.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:50PM
Hummingbird597(6)

Echeveria, any idea which?

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:51PM
Hummingbird597(6)

And last AND least ( in size anyway) the little blue sedum - someone mentioned Sedum reflexum but leaves are the wrong shape. It reminds me of Sedum morgianum (Burro's Tail) but it's way too small - is there such a thing as a miniature Burro's tail?

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:58PM
kwie2011(8a/8b W. OR)

Good pictures! And still a lovely collection. The fuzzy one doesn't look like my Kalanchoi much at all now that I can see it, but those are fantastic blooms!

I have Sedum rubrotinctum 'Jelly Beans' aka 'pork and beans' and it has definite bean-shaped leaves, whereas yours are quite elongated, so I don't think it's the same variety. I have no idea what it is though.

Your little "miniature burro's tail" is to die for. I just rescued some burro's tail. If you ever want to exchange a few bits, I'll trade cuttings of anything I can pinch in my collection for a little bit of that. It is such a pretty plant. Love those fat leaves on the pachyphytum too. It's lovely. I'll shut up now and let the real growers help you. Best of luck with them all!

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:31PM
kwie2011(8a/8b W. OR)

I don't think the little blue one is S. reflexum either. Yours has rounded, fatter leaves and the stems end bluntly. The S. reflexum I've seen looks almost like tiny spruce branches - pointy leaves and pointy branches. Yours is much nicer. I kind of think it's not either of those sediment, but maybe it's a cultivar.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
kalanchoe questions
This used to be a nice full plant,,now not so much....help?...
ianbeatty
ID please: Aloe hybr.
Hello, Rosemarie once id-ed this Aloe, but I forgot....
hablu
What kind of Succulent is this?
I've been trying to figure this out for a while but...
yonatin
Great news!
End of day one for my new greenhouse! It is larger,has...
spikef35
Suggestions for improving the new GW?
Let’s do try to keep suggestions to that which is...
Paul MI
Sponsored Products
Palms 7-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Bontempi Casa | Aqua Stacking Chair, Set of 2
YLiving.com
Outdoor Ceiling Fans: Casablanca Utopian Gallery- 52 in. Brushed Cocoa Indoor/Ou
Home Depot
Isabelle Parchment Gold 12-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Chandelier, 36W x 40
Bellacor
37" Bamboo Wall-Mount Vessel Sink Vanity - Triangular Brackets
Signature Hardware
AICO Furniture - Cloch_ Dresser w/Mirror Bourbon - 10050-60-32
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™