What to pair with Avant-Garde?

pump_toad(z4 iowa)May 31, 2008

I bought a Avant-Garde several weeks ago which I would like to plant but I think I want to partner it.Any suggestions?

Lois

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Mine hasn't bloomed enough for me to know what would look good with it....dang earwigs have eaten the buds off and the new shoots down to nubs every year.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 4:20PM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Depends on your color likes and dislikes. I was not sure that I would like Avant Garde when I first got it but it has turned into a blooming machine for me. It is about ready to come into bloom for me this year but here is one picture of it last year.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 7:41PM
eden_in_me(5a Maine)

The flowers on the one of 2 that I HAD (don't make it through the winters without root rot for me) were smaller than I had expected. So if I try again I would pair it with one of the larger flowered type 3s or vitacellas in either the pink or reddish tones.

I think it would go well with Hagley Hybrid or Comtesse de Bouchaud. Possibly with Madame Baron Veillard or Pink Fantasy, but they haven't bloomed for me yet so I'm not sure what kind of pink they would be.

For the red, I would try either Carmencita or Keremesina, which are quite alike, except for the white spot at the center of K. Or maybe Huuvi or Ruutel, but they are quite short.I had it for a while on a trellis arbor with Madame Julia Correvon & Margot Koster, but it just didn't look right. It is a good thing that I replant in pots first so that it is easier to move plants that just don't work out in the first place I try, as well as growing stronger roots.

Marie

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 10:29PM
pump_toad(z4 iowa)

Thanks,the photo was helpful and it looks like you paired it with pink.
Thanks to you also Marie, I think I will try and find Comtesse De Bouchaud .Almost bought that one a week ago but decided to think it over.Probably was a mistake because it was a nice large one in bloom.I think I have as much fun looking at Garden Centers to find something different as I do buying them.LOL. I do have limited space but that doesn't stop me from looking.
Lois

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 12:14AM
eden_in_me(5a Maine)

The pink in the picture is the center of AG, not a different clem. The red tepals fall off first.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 7:27PM
pump_toad(z4 iowa)

No wonder the pink looks so good with the flower.LOL.
Lois

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 9:49PM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Yep, Marie is correct. The lighter pink is the central boss after the tepals have fallen off. LOL

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Pruning???
A friend gave me a clematis, and I know very little...
organizedsarah
Sponsored Products
Greenville Banker Desk Lamp
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Hughes Leather Sofa - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Husna Nur Lamp
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Premium Select Antique Brass 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Mahogany Blades
$498.00 | Bellacor
Campania International Wine Time Frogs Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-431-AL
$49.99 | Hayneedle